ACE removal - what is required

Mean Green

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered before - I tried a search but it came up with nothing.

I am considering purchasing a 2002 pre-facelift D2 Td5 GS, which I understand will have ACE fitted. At the moment I know very little about the vehicle but want to do my homework.

I have known a few Discos of the same age that have developed ACE faults which are both pricey and a PITA to fix so I am just wondering what needs to be done? If it were to develop ACE issues what is involved in removing it?

Can it just be ignored or 'unplugged' and will it still drive ok? and more importantly safely?

Is there anyway to test or check the system before I bought it? Or tell tale signs that it is either on its way out or has been fixed in the past?

Thanks

Ours leaks, and the steel pipes are stuck in the valve block. But a second hand block wasn't mega money and the hoses are available. I expect the main way they fail is rusting pipes loosing the oil and it not being topped up, so the pump fries? I'd try and keep it working. Because it does seem to do what is required in this top heavy 4x4. I'd say if it has been repaired with new pipes, you're most of the way to a reliable system?

My guess is that if you remove it all, it turns back into a range rover classic with a steel roof rack :)

I've heard gossip that it's a safety feature? So maybe it is an MOT thing? Or worse still, in a couple of years it will become an MOT thing. I'd keep all the oily bits ;)

I've removed a few following owners instructions, i would say it's a shame to remove it because it is an effective system when working correctly.

The only problems i've ever come across have been leaking pipes (that's not to say other parts dont fail but its not as common). The pipes are expensive but not as expensive as 2 new non ace anti roll bars and links and the idler etc required.

As regards what is needed:

Front and rear non-ace anti roll bar

New ARB links

Idler pulley to replace ACE pump

Block reservoir pipe

join 2 wires at ace ecu (cant remember the pin numbers but the information is easily found with a google search, this is one of the few jobs a scotch lock is acceptable for as if you ever wanted to reinstate the ace you can remove it easily.) The alternative to this is finding someone with the correct diagnostic equipment to switch the ace off, a friend of mine with Land Rover test book says he cant do it and the only version he knows of that will do it is autologic although i think the nanocom can do it.

Hope that helps

Almost there,except the links are the same - no need to change them.But the arb to chassis bushes need changing,cheap enough anyway.Testbook wont change from ACE to non ACE,but as you say Autologic will if you don't want to link the ecu plug wires 11 and 36.

Even when towing large trailers on rough roads most owners feel no real difference with it removed,,plus you can always slow down a bit...

Hi Greg

Just to say, best thing is (when viewing) to carefully inspect the pipes on the chassis as they route through the front wheel well. That's where they corrode.

I've heard of people trying to wire brush them only to brush through the rust and burst the pipe. Having said that, they can be fairly rusty just in that area but still quite solid. I filed the rust off mine, painted and waxoyled.

Here's a cheap and easy fix though:

Once you find one with decent pipes I'd be more concerned with rear chassis corrosion and body leaks. F'ing body leaks!

George

Cracking vid mate.

Mine are currently leaking just under the drivers door where they cross over the chassis.

By cutting the pipe are you likely to loose all the fluid and is it fairly simple to bleed the system after?

Cheers

Mark.