Which wheels are these?

Morning

So my new Defender quite literally came with a set of these in the back;

02c6d660-c9be-494f-80c9-8ad5afa2b203.jpg

All the tyres are knackered, but the wheels seem in good nick and may come out well with a refurb. I wanted to get a set of Boost's fitted, but i'm almost falling for these.

Are they Defender wheels? Would it be worth me selling and getting some boosts?

Thanks

Those are discovery wheels, i can't remember the name but they weren't used for many years. I don't think they would have the correct weight rating for a 110 as freestyles aren't rated for the 110's weight. You'll probably have to pay a bit more for boosts, but they would suit the vehicle much better as they're what would be fitted by Land Rover at the time.

Hope that helps

The max weight for the wheel should be cast on one of the spokes on the inside of the wheel.

After going through this with my 110, I can confirm that the Freestyles and original 3 spoke RRC alloys are only rated to 850kg.

I have now gone for the boosts, with Maxxis 764 tyres fitted.

Pollywog is correct they are Castor alloys fitted to c. 95/96 Tdi Discoverys. They probably aren't rated to the full rear axle load for a 110/130 but in practice unless you run round an assault course at 3 tons they are unlikely to cause an issue but nobody could recommend you did it so I'm not. In my time as a dealer I once asked LR tech support what the weight ratings were for various genuine alloys and even they couldn't tell me!

Google suggests that the max rear axle weight of a 110 is 1850kg which means if the alloys are rated to the same as the 850kg noted above you are only 150kg short. Tell fat people to sit in the front :ph34r: - but I would not use them on a 130 as that is 2200kg rear axle rating IIRC.

Boosts were not fitted until 97 or 98 model year, the original LR alloys on earlier vehicles were Deep Dish.

Be aware that old cheapish alloys with the sort of corrosion bubbling that you see on that one pictured may have issues with bead sealing if the corrosion is also around the bead.