Euro Transit Plates - Any Takers???

tweetyduck

No tax. No MOT. That will be picked up by the first fixed ANPR camera.

However if that camera is in a car.

You will be stopped, the vehicle with contents confiscated then you will be left at the roadside with only your LPC's for transport.

Do it properly please. Trailer or truck it.

No tax. No MOT. That will be picked up by the first fixed ANPR camera.

However if that camera is in a car.

You will be stopped, the vehicle with contents confiscated then you will be left at the roadside with only your LPC's for transport.

Do it properly please. Trailer or truck it.

Buying the plates is properly IMHO. Thats why the EU invented them. So you can move an unregistered car around the EU. Our car isn't registered according to the lady at the DVLA and has "no plates" even though a quick check on the MOT website proves it does (did) as it has our plate still listed against the car. The car is exported and has the Y in the site against export flag so we have technically lost the plates. I have no incentive to even complete the sale portion of my V5C as thats only for sale in the UK (if i'd sold it to a german). So transit plates is the way to go IMHO. After all we are still in the EU for the time being and this is the "law". Unless someone can prove the DVLA are not accepting them and that would be illegal IMHO. Same way they tell you you cannot come for more than 6 months on international plates. Illegal under 1946 Vienna Convention. Which we/they signed ! Circulate for one year, end of.

So Neil

Your car is NOT registered in the UK ? So you are importing a vehicle into the UK ?

Boy will Customs like that.

I know Mike. its the bloody RACs fault and some arrangement they made with the DVLA. It will likely be the hardest place to get into (and its our home!). However, the guy in the export department thinks, maybe, that taking an MOT will undo the export flag. If not its 6 weeks of faffing around with paperwork. Its not too difficult its just long winded. The transit plates mean we don't have to do any of it at the border, we can do it from home after trying the MOT (quick route) and if that doesn't work we start filling in paperwork. Its a mile to the MOT place in our village and no cameras!

Neil, If you are intending getting your vehicle MOT'd then a council depot with MOT facilities(They need to be able to MOT they're own vehicles-ambulance, minibuses etc.) is probably your best bet-the reason I say this because that they're not there to trade up-just pass or fail the vehicle, Have a look on line at one nearest the port of entry and book it in that way, I put my new to me transit through that way and with a few advisories it passed the MOT.

John

Neil, If you are intending getting your vehicle MOT'd then a council depot with MOT facilities(They need to be able to MOT they're own vehicles-ambulance, minibuses etc.) is probably your best bet-the reason I say this because that they're not there to trade up-just pass or fail the vehicle, Have a look on line at one nearest the port of entry and book it in that way, I put my new to me transit through that way and with a few advisories it passed the MOT.

John

The local place is OK. He's not bothered about fixing Landies and hes done both my other cars. He's also OK with a bit of remedial action during the test if it fails. Plus he lets me watch everything. He's not done my Landy before however but at least i can "talk" to him and he will re-test for free. Plus he's a cheap MOT. The last place was REALLy stirict but i asked him to tell me about everything even stuff not at advisory levels.

• Like 1

This link is dated 2007, and seems to describe the same situation as you see now.

http://www.xor.org.uk/silkroute/documents/oneyear.htm

I've known people insure cars on the VIN alone and drive them home from Southampton dock without number plates (you used to see japanese cars coming out of there all the time with no plates).

DoT weasel words say " To avoid difficulties, we advise you to:
transport, rather than drive, your vehicle from the port to your home or its first destination,

and keep the vehicle off the road until it has been properly registered, taxed and insured"

... but curiously it doesn't say you can't :ph34r:

I'd suggest treating it as a "personal import" - as when bringing an import from Japan - and pre-booking a IVA-test at the nearest VOSA-site to the point-of-import.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-approval/individual-vehicle-approval

I've gone this route when importing a few Jap cars [Toyota X100 Chasers, and V8 Aristo/GS430] and it's really not been painful. You can get transit insurance on the VIN/chassis-number.

If its been registered here before its not "importing" as such you have no liability to customs , as they certainly didnt refund you when taking it out !

Mine was "seen as importing" and as such checked by customs when we arrived home on 2008. UK registered and taxed at he time.Two good things, they didn't empty it all over the dockside which they could have done. The other thing, with a full check by customs it's had a better inspection than a roadside pull.

Been looking into the transit plates and they seem to be the best bet, in countries such as Belgium the plates have to be given back and do not belong to the vehicle at all like they do in the UK so the transit plates are a blessing to enable safe export of vehicles from here that have been de-registered, the de-registration means you no longer pay tax on the plates assigned to the car and subsequent owners have to register it in their name and go through the hassles of actually getting it registered.

If you were to have them fitted and all correct paper work in place allocating them to that vehicle then the onus would be on them to prove that those plates were illegal surely? As you have said, they are EU transit plates so they are valid in any EU member state including the UK.