I have searched, but must be doing it wrong..... V8 oil recomendations

HI all, sorry to ask a question which has without doubt been asked before, however i can't find results in search,

my v8 is an old 3.5 RR one, with a slightly higher mileage, i only recently bought it, and have just about got it running nicely, the next thing on the list is to change the oil, do people have a prefered oil for an older engine...???

Thanks.

20W50 for that one Ron, and a good quality mineral oil. Dont bother with semi or full synthetic.

I always use a diesel oil too. Its heavier duty than petrol rated oil, has more detergent to keep the engine clean and more of the "right stuff" in it too. (ZDDP)

Comma Super Diesel 20W50 gets my vote

Definitely 20W50 - thats what the old 3.5 was designed to run on. (Same goes for things like the Ford Essex and Cologne V6 lumps if anyone's running a conversion using these).

I'm quite promiscuous about what oil I use: the local motor factors stocks Valvoline but recently they had some Gallon cans (yes, gallons) of Texaco "Havoline" that were proudly marked "Produced in the USA" ; the price was very right and the various API/ACEA performance-grade letters said the right things so I bought a couple of cans for my Cologne V6.

Is yours the EFI or Carb Model?

I'd always understood it was 10W40 for the Carb 3.5V8 (including seeing a spec from LR somewhere, will check this).

If it is 20W40 then I might need to change but then it has run for 75K miles on 10W40 with a lot of hard towing and off-roading. Changes done every 4K miles and still runs sweetly :-)

Agree on 20W50 for higher mileage early engines and 15W40 for later units. I too use diesel oil with detergents, but I was warned to be careful using these with a really dirty engine. You don't want to dislodge larger deposits of muck and risk blocking an oil passage.

FORTE engine cleaner is amazing stuff.

On an engine that was going to be stripped I shoved a can of this stuff in and did a 30 min drive.

Drained the oil...

When stripping the engine I and friend helping were b9oth amazed that when the rockers were removed it looked as if everything was as new !!

HOWEVER if you engine is worn it might just wash the carbon and deposits away that are jammed everywhere and stopping it a knockin' :rofl:

Nige