Battery Box Conundrum

My battery is on the way out and as I plan to fit various electrical bits and bobs soon, I thought now would be a good time to replace it. Unfortunately, I cannot get the old battery out of the box (under rear wheelarch as PO put LPG stuff under passenger seat) as it appears to be bigger than the hole at the top.

Anybody got any bright ideas on how to remove battery without entirely dismantling the rear. I struggle to believe that he riveted the box in place with the battery in situ.

2014-06-05204338_zpsae61e237.jpg

I donno, it looks like it's too tall to get out. Perhaps put it on its side? LOTS of clothes?

There isn't a door so that it can come out at the wheel? You'd take the wheel off etc.

Hmm, if I try and roll it out lengthwise it very quickly jams against the end. Perhaps if I remove the rods for the clamp I might be able to roll it from side to side as I lift it out at one end.

I suspect I will have to be drilling out rivets soon. In hindsight, I wish I'd bought a shorter replacement so that this would not have to be done again in the future. I guess if I bolt it in this time, it would make it easier next time.