Whats going on with Soft Dash Classic prices

MogLite

I was doing some "market research" for a new vehicle.

I've always liked the soft dash rangies, with a 300tdi - it would make a nice daily driver.

Last time I looked about 18months ago - they were about £5K or more

Yet a tidy top-spec one sold on eBay for £2050

and a scruffier one was £1670

Seems like a bunch of car for the money.

I sold my v. nice LSE about 6-9 months ago for £5k and the chap who bought it has just managed to get £3k for it on flea bay! Frightning, but I was tempted to have it back!!

Yeah thats about what I was seeing.

I shall be looking out for a decent TDI softdash sometime in the future

I'm about to embark on the far less sensible option of retro-fitting a softdash to my '93 rangie. Physically, should be fairly straightforward, but I'll bet the wiring is a git :ph34r:

why???? :huh:

when you could buy a whole vehicle for silly money..... :rolleyes:

why???? :huh:

when you could buy a whole vehicle for silly money..... :rolleyes:

Erm... Why not? :unsure:

Maybe because I could never justify buying another rangie to myself, but I can talk myself into tinkering continuously with the one I've got... :rolleyes:

If I was sensible I wouldn't have land rovers in the first place...

• 2 years later...
I'm about to embark on the far less sensible option of retro-fitting a softdash to my '93 rangie. Physically, should be fairly straightforward, but I'll bet the wiring is a git :ph34r:

I know its an almost 3 years old thread but ;) , do you have any pics/ specs of your setup? Did you use a Rover or Disco as the donor truck?

Thanks.

I know its an almost 3 years old thread but ;) , do you have any pics/ specs of your setup? Did you use a Rover or Disco as the donor truck?

Thanks.

I looked at fitting a Softdash but its a lot of hassle. Too much hassle in my opinion.

The bulk head is different, so you will have to cut & weld the mounting tabs for the dash.

Wiring is totally different aswell, this would probably be the worst bit.

Heater & Air-Con unit different & the plumbings in a different location aswell so more alterations required to the bulk head.

Steering columns different aswell.

& probably some other challenges along the way.

It would be interesting to here from someone thats actually done the swap though.

Erm... Why not? :unsure:

Maybe because I could never justify buying another rangie to myself, but I can talk myself into tinkering continuously with the one I've got... :rolleyes:

If I was sensible I wouldn't have land rovers in the first place...

Man! I can relate to that. I don't think I could face starting again, especially since I suspect that even the tidiest old RRC has a host of hidden problems..

Yeah thats about what I was seeing.

I shall be looking out for a decent TDI softdash sometime in the future

I can vouch for this one...used to be my daily commute from Petersfield to Southampton. Never let me down. I put a new bonnet on it and current owner has done the rear body crossmember and lower tailgate. Lots of other work done. If I had the room, I'd probably buy it back :lol:

Soft Dash

Personally, they are nicer inside but definitely rot at a quicker rate than older ones :huh:

On subject of retro fitting!

I rebuild my old 2 door a few years back now threw the v8 away in favour of the 200tdi, when doing it i wondered if the disco dash etc would fit.

In the end changed all the gearbox tunnel fitted disco, dash wiring loom pedal box etc etc so the inside looks like a 200tdi disco, took a week from start to finish to change engine box and interior, ~Made the old thing mush better!

so far 3 mates have all done the same conversioon

Thanks.

The dash was from a soft dash Range Rover - much better finish than a Discovery one (which isn't 'soft' - it just looks the same). Like custom-conversions I abandoned the project, though - it's just to much work (mainly dealing with the bulkhead, which is very different). You're looking at metalwork, lots of wiring and probably a few extra gotchas to stumble upon as you progress.

The dash was from a soft dash Range Rover - much better finish than a Discovery one (which isn't 'soft' - it just looks the same). Like custom-conversions I abandoned the project, though - it's just to much work (mainly dealing with the bulkhead, which is very different). You're looking at metalwork, lots of wiring and probably a few extra gotchas to stumble upon as you progress.

I looked at this type of project last year but when I discovered the bulkheads were different I opted for a wjhole body swap which is quicker and easier ( once you get equipment set up) than messing with all that lovely wiring! So now I have a '78 4door soft dash! :lol: