Land Rover carp quality front bumper

studmuffin

Exactly 12 months ago I had the front bumper on my defender replaced by my insurers as part of a repair after an abrupt impact with a Transit. :blush:

As I got underneath my Landy today to continue with my" Forth Bridge anti-rust painting project" I couldn't but help notice that the aforesaid bumper was rusting on the inside.

Now, I cannot confirm definitely that they used an LR produced bumper but usually on insurance claims they do because overall it just gets passed on to the premiums.

Either way - that's pretty garbage isn't it??

Barry

The repairer probably bought a cheaper replacement, garages will charge the insurers genuine price and buy pattern a lot of the time. Although i wouldnt like to suggest thats what your chosen repairer has done.

It is pretty poor that it's rusting but if its rusting inside just slap a thick coat of anti rust paint on it, it wont show but should protect it.

I good friend of mine works in a bodyshop which is owned by a major bank/insurer.

They use secondhand replacement body panels as matter of course on late model or new cars that are in for major work.

They rebuilt a new porsche with used panels before repainting. Costs are tightly controlled & your bumper could well be britpart.

To be fair, the new bumpers are rubbish, in fact Defender bumpers stopped being any good after they stopped galvanising them. I'd say it'll rust whatever you do to it. I saw an '09 plate on a dairy arm with a hole rusted through the bumper recently.

If you intend to keep it then stick a galvanised one on it.

Coincidence but on a dairy farm a few days ago I saw an 09 Defender with a rust hole in the rear cross...

I've seen galvanized crushes stripped and rusty in a few years when exposed to cow sh!t - I think I read something that said galv wasn't suitable for protection of steel in contact with effluent but its late on Sunday night and I might have dreamt that.

Most repair centres nowadays are run by insurers. They will insist that a vehicle is repaired by one of their "recommended" repairers, but this invariably means one of their own.............however, they cant force to to take it there, but they will will make it quite diffucult if you don't !

Unless it is a franchised dealer for that particular make, they will ALWAYS use non genuine or used stuff if available !

They are there to minimise the insurers losses, and buying in and using genuine parts is NOT going to achieve this. Remember that insurers are a business and want to make as much profit as they can. They are NOT a charity service !

Coincidence but on a dairy farm a few days ago I saw an 09 Defender with a rust hole in the rear cross...

I've seen galvanized crushes stripped and rusty in a few years when exposed to cow sh!t - I think I read something that said galv wasn't suitable for protection of steel in contact with effluent but its late on Sunday night and I might have dreamt that.

Think that was my post Paul. Its the sulphur dioxide what does it Gov`nr!

Co-incidently, I went to see the local Keeper today and it took bloomin ages to get the cow sh!t off the underneath of my truck. It sticks like hell when its as hot as yesterday.

Cheers

Barry

Think that was my post Paul. Its the sulphur dioxide what does it Gov`nr!

Co-incidently, I went to see the local Keeper today and it took bloomin ages to get the cow sh!t off the underneath of my truck. It sticks like hell when its as hot as yesterday.

Cheers

Barry

Yep, I googled the article I read and it suggested that best was Aluminium -> then galv -> then mild steel in that order

I get a bit of sheep carp on the bottom of mine and it flakes off taking a bit of the wax with it but I reckon the only thing you can do is wash it often and top up the wax.

I was very suprised at how quickly mild steel in oil rusted "here by the sea" - I have left steel on site for months inland with little effect, here only a few days makes a difference.

I used to laugh at the local auctions, the locals always look for an "Anglesey" car as they think in some way they are better cared for. When you look below they are significantly more rusted than something from far away, but each to their own.