New 110 fuel tank leaking

First time I had brimmed the tank on Saturday to the neck, got 2 miles home and a steady drip drip drip. had a look all the pipes and hoses were fine. Sender was fine. Leaking from area around pickup flange on top of new tank.

I did crossmember a while back and fitted a Bearmach tank and all new parts and fittings. The new tanks have through holes for the screws (old tanks used to have blind holes). So when I did the job i was careful (not enough) and made sure I had the green rubber/metal washer thingy and even put a dab of hylomar on top of each screw thread.

Well I drained 10 Litres of diesel off in short order and the leak stopped, as it must be below the top of the pickup flange now.

Not looking forward to getting it all down again so soon, at least I used new tank fitting kit.

Any one experienced this or have any better info on the cause, I'm sure i read about this before but can't find any relevant posts.

Pete

Sounds as though it's not been joined properly and the paint sealed the hole - assuming you're talking about the bolt flange fitting to the tank sheet. Have you got a photo?

not yet, although i double checked the seal before I fitted it. The tank had been thinly painted at source so after I put the fittings on and checking I gave it two coats of chassis black, then waxoyl.

Yep , your first post is correct , open holes in the 5 weld nuts on the return at the top . Its simply a matter of fitting a fibre washer under

each screw ..........but ffs why not put the correct inserts in OR supply the washers as part of the tank kit , it's a small but bloody stupid

failure to conform , Even a damn sticker to say use washers

{rant over}

Steveb

someone ought to ave a word then, i used one of these kits with the green/silver washer thing

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/fuel-tank-fitting-genuine-wfe000190kit-esr2000kit-nrc7570kit-p-6638.html

back to the drawing board, just hope Ralph hasn't had this annoyance as i recommended the kit for the nuts and bolt selection etc after he did his chassis change.

This was the tank, http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/fuel-tank-stone-guard-8698-8689-bearmach-ntc2017bm-esr2243bm-wfe000190bm-p-8025.html

purposely didn't buy blue box.

Pete

No problem for me as I didn't touch the top fitting, just used the sender unit seal & lock ring & the bolts to secure tank to chassis, it was still a right pain to fit on my own.

still have the top plate seal ring if you want it.

someone ought to ave a word then, i used one of these kits with the green/silver washer thing

http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/fuel-tank-fitting-genuine-wfe000190kit-esr2000kit-nrc7570kit-p-6638.html

back to the drawing board, just hope Ralph hasn't had this annoyance as i recommended the kit for the nuts and bolt selection etc after he did his chassis change.

This was the tank, http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/fuel-tank-stone-guard-8698-8689-bearmach-ntc2017bm-esr2243bm-wfe000190bm-p-8025.html

purposely didn't buy blue box.

Pete

I fitted a Blue Box one a few year ago to a 110 V8, the nutserts in that were sealed end! Mind you the baffles stopped the sender float from moving (nice man from AA came with a gallon of petrol....), but other than the fact that the paint on it was see thro, it's never leaked (that may be because the V* drinks so much the tank is only ever full for a nano second)....