Cab Heater

Hi all,

Just thought i would see if anyone has installed and if so what type of cab heater. I am running a 3.9 V8 110 County and with the winter months appraohing i am turning in to a girl who like instant heat. Does anyone have any recommendations and if so which one and how easy was it to install.

On eblag there are used Eberspacher and Wabasto hot air heaters to warm the interior and also versions which heat the engine coolant. Usually diesel powered though so you may need to add a small (1 gallon) aux fuel tank. They go for anything from £50-£400 but make sure you get all the bits...

Yeah i have seen the ones on Ebay and as you said they are mainly either diesel or are not complete. Don't really want to add an aux fuel tank as that would mean the Landy was running with Unleaded, LPG and a diesel tank, now that would cause some concern at the pumps.

The one you linked to Ebay is what I was thinking off. Available in petrol or diesel from either Wabasto or Eberspacher. Common fit to BT Transit/VW camper vans/canal boats/lorries and coaches. Just needs fuel (has its own fuel pump) and 12v, can be run off a timer to preheat the vehicle. Best run off a split charge/aux battery system. Controllers come up on ebay as well. These ones are cheaper than the engine heaters. Do a search on Wabasto or Eberspacher, there are always several on there but the petrol ones are less common.

I had an Eberspacher fitted to a VW bus and can gaurantee they will do the job very well.

I always used mine with the engine running because I didn't trust the timer on a 32 yr old vehicle.Other than that it was excellent, de-frosted the whole bus in a couple of minutes. :D

Andy

Hi all,

Just thought i would see if anyone has installed and if so what type of cab heater. I am running a 3.9 V8 110 County and with the winter months appraohing i am turning in to a girl who like instant heat. Does anyone have any recommendations and if so which one and how easy was it to install.

bought an ebespacher D1LC off eblag a couple of years ago an fitted to my csw just behind the center cubby box. in almost 30 years of landy ownership and gazillions of £s spent on my various hacks it was the best £283 i've ever spent. left it running tonight for the first time this winter. when it really gets cold i leave running for weeks on end, uses a couple of gallons of red diesel a week from a seperate tank. i do have a split charging system and the 10m drive to work ensures a full battery. mine was from a bt van which i believe is quite common and does not need the seperate control/thermostat but to get the best from it try and get one with this piece of kit and the loom. eberspacher themselves were quite unhelpful with one or two wee snags i've had but the local dealer was just the opposite. the one helpful person i did speak to at eberspacher said put 10/15% kerro in with your diesel an it will burn cleaner and hotter but don't say i told you! you can download the manuals, wiring diagram etc from the canadian website.

can't wait to get into my warm dry landy tommorow!

I've got a wabasto thermotop c in my tdi. It heats the engine coolant rather than the interior. Has all the advantages listed above including instant demisted windscreen and a warmed up engine for less wear and better economy/and better throttle response (cold tdis are v sluggish). More expensive than a cab heater but equally worth it.

I've got a wabasto thermotop c in my tdi. It heats the engine coolant rather than the interior. Has all the advantages listed above including instant demisted windscreen and a warmed up engine for less wear and better economy/and better throttle response (cold tdis are v sluggish). More expensive than a cab heater but equally worth it.

yes simon i'm such a wimp and was so impressed by my cab heater i was thinking of getting a pre heater aswell. i have to climb several VERY steep hills within the first mile of leaving home and my usual solution is to leave my engine running for 15mins when its rely cold. i'm sure it makes more sense to warm it up on red diesel from a pre heater. can you remote start it or does it have a timer?

Simon, is your thermotop c fitted to a 200 or 300Tdi vehicle (I'm assuming a Defender)? I've got a secondhand one to fit to my 300Tdi 110 and am unsure of the location to put it. I've found the following picture and the location looks ideal, but unfortunately the washer bottle is in this space.

Colin

post-129-1161934646_thumb.jpg

Thanks all, the only problem i have is that i am running a 3.9 V8 petrol so i am struggling to get a heater as such, unless i fit a small Aux tank for the diesel but then that would mean i would have LPG, Petrol and Diesel in the landy

bought an ebespacher D1LC off eblag a couple of years ago an fitted to my csw just behind the center cubby box. in almost 30 years of landy ownership and gazillions of £s spent on my various hacks it was the best £283 i've ever spent. left it running tonight for the first time this winter. when it really gets cold i leave running for weeks on end, uses a couple of gallons of red diesel a week from a seperate tank. i do have a split charging system and the 10m drive to work ensures a full battery. mine was from a bt van which i believe is quite common and does not need the seperate control/thermostat but to get the best from it try and get one with this piece of kit and the loom. eberspacher themselves were quite unhelpful with one or two wee snags i've had but the local dealer was just the opposite. the one helpful person i did speak to at eberspacher said put 10/15% kerro in with your diesel an it will burn cleaner and hotter but don't say i told you! you can download the manuals, wiring diagram etc from the canadian website.

can't wait to get into my warm dry landy tommorow!

Any chance of some pics showing how its fitted? Might inspire me to fit my D1.

Oh, and welcome to LR4x4 :D

The thermotop has got a timer so you can set it up for a advance start in the morning. The Eberspacher version has a remote start from upto 200m or you can phone it up on ur mobile! V bling but expensive.

Its mounted as per the pic where the washer bottle was using the washer mounting bracket - thermotop bracket is bolted to that.

There is a genuine LR washer bottle that mounts behind the headlight (someone will post the part nos..) but is mega bucks. I got one from a Renault 19 instead and mounted it behind the drivers headlight. It has a neck that can be extended using 1 1/4" hose an plumbing fittings so that the neck can be relocated up behind the expansion bottle (300Tdi). One exhaust clamp holds the shortened neck of the bottle to the wheel arch liner, another holds the top of the neck to the edge of the wing inside the engine compartment (like the expansion tank).

As the tank is now mostly horizontal, i used washer tube sealed with the grommets from the pump on the old tank to make a breather in the side of the tank to allow the air out as its filled.

r19's are probably a bit sparse in scrappies now so have a search for something suitable.

cant post pics as on holiday in California at the mo, B) but if anyone wants some PM with ur email and i'll send some next wk when i'm back in the UK. LR90 i'm in Pompey so could meet to view...

Thanks all, the only problem i have is that i am running a 3.9 V8 petrol so i am struggling to get a heater as such, unless i fit a small Aux tank for the diesel but then that would mean i would have LPG, Petrol and Diesel in the landy

even though mines diesel i fitted the seperate tank then i could use a red/kerro mix. fitted a 20lt plastic outboard motor tank behind the n/s/r wheel. it fits perfectly in the big empty space of the seat box. cut a hole in the top of the seat box for access to the filler. put a sender unit in the tank and a switch so i could read the fuel level from my dash fuel gauge, bit over the top realy as the full tank lasts for weeks. well worth the effort. though if you ever fit rear chequer plate corner protectors don't do what i did and drill a hole through the tank!!!!