Galvanised Chassis - Powder Coat?

Had another thought this afternoon regarding coating my new galvanised chassis. I like the look of fresh galv, but don't like the dull grey it goes after a while. That along with wanting to protect it, it will get coated in something.

So, has anyone had a galvanised chassis powdercoated? I cannot decide in my head if it is a good or bad idea, so all thoughts on the matter are welcome. I think I'm still leaning towards painting...

Decided to paint mine as we discussed at our last meeting, powder coat can chip & split so road dirt & moisture can get between it & the galv, I had the option to buy a fully powder coated galv chassis from marsland, it was a cancelled order, but after advise from others on here [see my chassis change thread] I bought a new plain galv chassis instead. the rest is now history in my thread.

Marmo Coatings do many galvanised posts for a customer in powdercoat. It's all down to the key. I don't know how you get that key to be as good as it can be? But you know how to with paint, so I guess paint is the one to use, as it is a technology you understand?

e.g. (I'm not geared up for tig, but my ideal duct was ally, so I used glass fibre because it matches my facility/ability)

Usually they will sweepblast something that's been galvanised to help the powder coating key in.

They have to do something called degassing which stops the powder coating going funny /porous.

If you don't want to leave the Galv finish then t wash/ mordant solution and paint it like Ralph did

Getting paint/powdercoat or any other coating to stick well to a galvanised surface is a hell of a job if you're confined to using commercial-over-the-shelf products(same as for aluminium and stainless-steel!). Surface-abrasion followed by a suitable etch-primer is the way to go.

Alternatively - if surface appearance is not *that* important, a slathering with old-style bituminous paint tends to work well: I'm aware of some galvanised steel pipes whose welded joints were treated this way and they survived quite happily being buried under a beach in Dorset since 1959.

Vinylast - from a company called Rourkes

Goes straight onto galv, no real prep needed (the usual degrease and a very light keying).

Mine's been on probably three years now and, other than the filth, looks almost like I put it on yesterday. Fantastic stuff.

Welcome to come and look my Landy if you want to.