Custom off set steel wheels? Any wheel makers here?

Does anyone know of a way to get some custom steel wheels for sensible money in the UK?

Ideally something like a regular 8 spoke or modular style rim, just with a specific offset and rim width (no idea who actually makes these rims or where)? Must be road legal, safe and tough enough for off road use.

As an ideal I'm after:

• 16x6.5 tubeless steel rims.
  • With as close to a 4 inch deep dish on the front of the wheel. This means an offset of -25ET.
  • I would settle for a 3.5 inch dish which is an offset of -6ET. Or anything that is close to either of these.

(it should make the wheels stick out further from the vehicle).

Standard Defender/Disco1 PDC.

Another set I'm after would be a matching rim design to the above. But in

• 16x7 tubeless
  • 2-2.5" dish. This means an offset of +38 or +25ET.

I've had a look about online and can't seem to find anything off the shelf that really fits. The only deep dish rims are wide ones, and I specifically want narrow rims.

Thanks, but I can't see a 6.5 wide rim being any cause of concern with stress on steering components.

You are partially right. Obviously wide tyres will generate more drag as you try to steer them as the outsides of the tyre are scrubbing. So, from that point of view, narrow tyres will definitely be better.

In an ideal world, your steering centre line (project a line from the top swivel, through the bottom swivel to the road) would meet the road at the centre of the tyre contact patch. With that, you would probably not need power steering at all. Unfortunately it's impractical to achieve in practice.

When the contact patch is on centre, when you drive over a bump or a pot-hole, there is no force trying to steer the wheel in either direction (bump steer). The more offset, the larger the force. It is only you and your steering linkages that keep the vehicle on track.

Ball joints and rods are easy to beef up - but the usual victim of this is steering boxes. You just need to look at an event like KoV to see the connection between offset and destroyed boxes!

You are probably not going to be doing anything like that with your truck, but it will still accelerate the wear and damage.

I learned this the hard way, adding hydro assist, then full hydro to make it strong enough to cope with the bump. My current vehicle has wider axles (Toyota 80) and wheels offset to give very close to centre point steering. Even with a little (Toyota 70) steering box and 37" tyres and no hydro assist, the steering is light and nothing has broken!

Si

Disco Ron

Not sure about the op as that is best and easiest answer really and they're only £34 ea.

Personally I love the look of landy rims anything else to me just looks cheap/wrong and aftermarket. I especially like rostyle pattern I mean for trialling or comps they're pants you have to take the wheel off to change a halfshaft. But the effort involved will be worth it for me because they weigh very little compared to other rims are narrow and look right on an older trials motor.

But the sensible man just buys them off the shelf done and dusted I've never been accused of being sensible!

J