X Eng Rad cap corrosion

reb78

A while ago I bought an X Eng rad cap to replace the plastic one that got more and more chewed up every time I removed it.

Anyway, yesterday, replacing the coolant I found the end of the cap was really corroded making it quite difficult to get the thread started again.

post-12362-0-91305300-1409484512_thumb.jpg

Anyone else had this? I'm just running normal ethylene glycol antifreeze.

I've never seen that! To be sure, I've just taken mine out - and apart from the blue anodising haven worn off the thread, it looks pretty much as good as!

It's just made of ordinary aluminium - the same as a good proportion of your engine! It might be worth having a look at the inside of your thermostat housing to make sure it has not gone the same way!

Si

Yeah. I was worried for because of that! What on earth could cause it? About three years ago I cleaned the whole system out flushed with copious amounts of fresh water and just replaced with normal blue antifreeze. It's been done again since then. The reason the system was drained (only partially) this time was to do the timing belt. There was some corrosion/crystalline build up around the pipe fittings to the water pump/thermostat housing, but nothing appeared to have dissolved!

I'll take a look at adding another one. Definitely one from gearbox to battery.

Where would other earths be on the 200tdi block normally? Pretty sure there's one from block to chassis behind the alternator, but will check.

Yep. They are all there. I will clean them up, but there are no electrical problems to speak of (only thing that springs to mind is that the voltmeter flicks back and forth in time with the indicators, but cleaning the two earths above has never helped resolve that...I need to do the ones on the bulkhead)

Richard, has it corroded exactly the same the full 360 degrees? Why would a bad earth cause the problem, surely it would only cause a problem if the plug became part of the earth path?

Yep. It's pretty even Barry. It's the bit below the rad thread that 'dips' into the coolant that's corroded. I don't remember any corrosion when it was drained and refilled a year ago.

I don't know about the earths, I was just responding to the post above. There's no earth on or near that plug

My first thought was that it would happen if the coolant were alkaline. The only thing that will attack both the anodising and the Aluminium is an Alkali. An anodised surface is a pretty good insulator - which should resist the effect of bad earthing. I wonder though if some other electro-chemical process is going on inside the rest of the engine, caused by earthing problems, which has caused the coolant to become alkaline?

Under normal circumstances, both water and Ethylene Glycol are neutral - Ph 7 so neither should attack the Anodising.

Si

Surely it should be attacking the other Aluminium parts to? Or is it related to the exact alloys used? Or does the increased surface area cause by having a thread accelerate the effect?

EDIT: Why do I ask so many questions? .... Damn that's another one!

Barry - That's why I suggested looking at the state of other Ali components such as the stat housing.

Si

Like I say though, I've had the pipes off of the other ali bits and apart from a little build up of crystalline material around the hose connections they look ok. The water pump housing is aluminium isn't it? That looked fine before replacing it.

Right, i will clean up my earths, but i'm not convinced they are the problem. I was thinking of buying a couple of these to add in addition to the existing ones:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-BATTERY-CABLE-EARTH-EARTHING-BRAID-STRAP-TERMINALS-/181225766896?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item2a31e5bff0

Can anyone think of any problems if i went engine to chassis and then chassis to gearbox (where the battery negative is connected)? That ought to be sufficient? Maybe a third from bulkhead to chassis as well??

Personally I think the best earthing strategy is to connect the battery negative directly to one of the starter motor mounting studs, then use a braid to connect from there to the chassis. Where the battery normally connects to the chassis, use braid to connect the chassis to the gearbox or transfer box via any suitable bolt.

The starter motor draws the highest current - so it makes sense to give it the best earth. Anything else which draws high current (winches, inverters etc) run positive and negative direct to the battery without relying on the chassis or engine for earthing.

This approach has served me well over the years!

Si

• Like 1

Given the chance, I wouldn't use the chassis for an earth point at all, but this can only really be done on trailers. So I use the Simon method.

On the van the cut-off is on the battery negative line. Then its wires aren't at risk of shorting on their run to the cab. It was easy to do while I laid in the new earth line.

Stray earths go all roads. If some of the starter electrons decide there is a chance of getting to the battery via the rad, then off they go. I normally assume my vehicles are trying to destroy themselves and work back from there :)

A bloke got sent down for selling zinc anodes that fitted on your car body to prevent rust. (fair I thought). But Pirate4x4 had an interesting read on zinc anodes immersed in the rad water. They were trying to reduce rust in race cars that weren't allowed antifreeze. It set me thinking, as I have a lot of different metals in the rear-rad install.

I've just checked my coolant pH and its 7.65, so pretty neutral. I guess this points to the earth issue presuming the coolant isnt supposed to be more alkaline than this?

I'll order some of those earth straps and add them from starter to gearbox rather than relying on it earthing through the block and connections and take it from there.