4.0 MS Install - Questions

ThreePointFive

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

And now the fuel pump won't prime. It's not the relay as sticking an earth on the right pin makes the pump work. It's the forking ECU.

Does the ECU work as expected on the stim? Divide and conquer - rule things in or out one at a time.

Thanks both.

For the moment I don't have the mental capacity to try to get spark while the fuel pump isn't chooching so going to focus on that.

Stim fools the ECU to show the fuel pump working, I assume it can only do that by sending the signal through the right pin so my ECU can't be fully hooped if that's the case?

Going to go at it fresh tomorrow.

Stumped.

• The relay works if I switch it around to be the main relay.
  • The fuel pump works if I just give it power without the relay.
  • There is power getting to the D37 plug pin.
  • The ECU clearly can still give a fuel pump working signal.

This has to be an ECU issue, doesn't it? There is nothing physically wrong with the wiring if the pump works when powered, so I don't see how it can be anything else.

Really Mildly miffed off with the ECU now so I am going to look at the spark situation so I get something productive done.

This was my working for which one goes where, please try to find fault with this. It takes a little bit of lateral thinking but I can't prove myself wrong so I don't think this is the problem.

The 4.0 GEMS coils connect to a plug that looks like this (with the two coils they each control in red based on the information below):

image.png.73ad49aeacd4aa0dbc705eede4d20c65.png

This is the RAVE diagram as Elbekko provided on page one of this thread:u9vATk3.png

To translate that to MS, you take the EDIS plug and look at the coils each pin controls:

edis8ew.gif

Which relates to these cylinders:

coil_wiring.jpg

So you end up with these numbers:

EDIS pin 8 -> GEMS pin 1

EDIS pin 9 -> GEMS pin 4

EDIS pin 11 -> GEMS pin 2

EDIS pin 12 -> GEMS pin

And you get those pins from the wiring colours, which I have done. So unless my GEMS plug was wired incorrectly by the factory, the WU/WB/WY/WK wiring colours should tell me exactly which is which.

I know I'm asking a lot of effort for no one else's gain in all this.

Just to double check your connector, from RAVE:

image.png.637cbe1af6f6764f449ec54e1dda6ca1.png

Where you have:

1 - 1 & 6, White/Black
2 - 4 & 7, White/Yellow
3 - 2 & 3, White/Blue
4 - 5 & 8, White/Pink
5 - switched 12v, White

Looks like this view is of the harness side, not the coil side, so pay attention to that!

The diagram you posted also has wire colours on the coil side, for reference:

image.png.d07f8bd593eb5946bb19487dec935d06.png

Just to make sure, EDIS switches ground and not +ve, right?

Yes, EDIS switches ground of the coils.

@ThreePointFive if you're getting fed up, post me your ECU and I'll have a look and/or post you a spare one.

99% of the time if it works on the stim it's good, but  it's juuust possible through some minor fault or previous wiring trauma it has enough chooch to light the LED on the stim but not power a relay or whatnot.