One wheel drive? Lincoln Locker for tarmac

Hi all,

With the 88 "nearly" completed, I´m now thinking about the first mods to do.

Diff lockers where not in the list because, even the cheaper ones, exceed my budget...but then I remembered that the Lincoln Locker is there!

As you will know, this locking "mechanism" takes it´s name from the welding equipment company Lincoln, and is the number one option among redneck rock crawlers. It´s just a matter of welding the sun gears to the carrier. Simple, robust and effective...but locked 100% of the time.

I will be doing about 400 to 500km on tarmac per week, so here is the idea: fit a freewheeling hub to the rear short shaft and use it on tarmac as a one wheel drive. Very light off road will be three wheel drive and, locking the hub, I will have 4x4 with "locked" rear axle.

Taking apart the fact that welding your diff may not be 100% legal, is this option something feasable?

Typical Lincoln Locker systems are used on tarmac apparently without problems in the US, but they have beef shafts and I have 10 splines...

I did it on my SJ. Made an amazing difference offroad. On a paved surface you could feel it go tight then skip a wheel, it sort of waddled with the soft springs and I think it would be dangerous in the wet. I think 1 when drive would pose a similar problem, the car would always be trying to spin and wouldn't track very straight.

Also if your engine has a lot of torque if you change down it might 'lock' the one wheel in the wet. I've had the rwd pickup do this before with two driven wheels :/

I guess it depends how much you use it, where you go and how willing you are to compensate with your driving. Not sure it would go down well if you ever were involved in a bad accident.

What about two free wheeling hubs at the back and run it as a front wheel drive on the road?

I stripped a drive flange on a diesel Series 3 many years ago and drove 200 miles home in "three-wheel-drive". It was quite horrible, with the car pulling and lurching all over the place. Plus it started making shocking noises from the front and I couldn't fix it because the half-shaft got stuck in the diff head. So, nah, not a good idea for a road car.

However, it's a brilliant concept for the budget off-roader that only goes a little way on road but is mostly used off-road. Room for thought there.

I also had a Series 3 with two free-wheeling hubs on the back (for towing on an A-frame). That didn't seem to misbehave when I had a little play in front-wheel drive. The idea could be plausible if you put something like a Stage One V8 front axle on, with those beefy CV joints?

I drove a friend's Jeep Wrangle out of the bush once after it had blown a diff. We stripped enough out of the back end that it was effectively just trailing. That was heaps of fun! Though an irrelevant side-track...

I've been exactly there! Started out fitting a single fwh at the back which by no means were safe! When you accelerated it pulled hard to one side, when you decelerated it pulled equally hard to the other side. So it doesn't work.but then I fit both fwhs in the back and just drove it with front wheel drive, this worked very well and as long as your ujoints are in good service don't post any concerns. Drove it like this for quite some time and you could argue its quite a bit safer in the winter time, not spinning out nearly as easily. I say go for it! Diff centers are cheap so should you regret it would be easy and cheap enough to revert.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info!

AEU2522 CV (pattern) are cheap, unfortunstelly stage one shafts are pricey as gold.

KAM has 23/24 spline RRC half shafts with extra long splines at the diff end that can be cut down to Stage 1 size if you ask nicely.

• 3 weeks later...