Potential problems after long tick over?

Nigelw

Not had Rusty running much for a while and it was almost 2weeks since last start up and tonight I decided to move him back round for some other small jobs.

Thought in my head, start him up, go for coffee, you know, a bit of time warming up and charging the batteries. Thing is, really tired and I sat in my chair and he had been running on tick over for around 2hrs before her in doors woke me up when she came in.

Already noticed that the leak off pipes are now leaking (they were dry before!!) and there now appears to be a ticking noise from aroun the vac pump towards the front of the engine.

I did drive him round the yard after and revved the engine hard and all seemed well.

what can I have damaged in my 200Tdi with my epic mistake?

The injector fuel return pipes probably leaked due to the amount of fuel feeding back in them, as when you're driving there is very little fuel that's not used by the injectors, when idle the majority of the fuel is pushed back into the tank, I found this out after having one split, I'd never really thought about until then. If the pipes are a bit tired maybe change out, failing that just make sure they are all pushed on ok.

It wont have done any harm, engines are of course designed to run at certain speeds, so if they're run out of that speed range regularly they don't cope as well. - i.e carbon deposits will build up in the bores and around the valve seats, you may start to get ware on certain bearings due to oil pressure being minimal.

Like I say I wouldn't worry about it, unless you start doing it regularly ;)

Aye, as above - those older diesels are quite happy to chug along for a good while when healthy. If you had enough oil, and the charge level is ok then you should be fine. Think of all the marine diesels, buses and tractors running at idle for hours at end, nevermind the series engines (same block) used to power comms equipment on the FFR landrovers.

A good run with lots of different revs will do the world of good, as well as using good fresh diesel, but I doubt if any harm has been done.

When I use my 300tdi for a play day or take it to a event it's running all day even when it's not used. When I replaced the cylinder head I took it to work to put some miles on it to make sure it was all ok. I parked it in the compound and decided to leave it running for a hour just to make sure it was all ok and I forgot about it, oops!

It was left from 7:30am to 5:30pm No problems, it just bellowed out a bit more black smoke than usual when I first booted it under load.

You shouldn't have nothing to worry about

Some of the jointers I worked with had their Transit idling for about a week (24/7 working in shifts out the back of the van with very occasional trundling about on site), it sounded like it was about to spit a piston out but they said it always went like that and a blast up the motorway cured it.

Not a good idea to idle a Tdi cold or regularly - the engines need to be worked. I know of a vehicle here in commercial use a few years back that was on I think it's 3rd engine in about 5yrs, because the users leave it idling for extended periods. Have seen a 90 Tdi a few years about belonging to an old chap who rarely did more than about 20mph or 1500rpm, engine was absolutely worn out with about 18,000 miles on it.

A couple of hours will have done no harm but don't make a habit of it.