Disc brake setup for an 88

ejparrott

Hi

I am not sure that there is anything wrong with your setup just because it gets "light" in the backend in icy conditions. My standard (brakewise that is) 90" does exactly the same in snow/ice... Helps keeping the topspeed down in such conditions ad it can get a bit hair raising :-)

Mads

cheers EJ different master to me then, looks awful similar to the one i bought however it doesent fit on it clashes with the vacuum in line on my servo.

ill see if i can track that one down

and toenden, mine gets more "back light" than i would like it to be, at higher speeds its actually better than low speeds funnily enough.

I haven't had any trouble with the back going light since doing all my upgrades but in it's old state it was terrible for it. Could it have anything to do with your RM suspension setup being too stiff perhaps?

If you're going for a change of master cylinder keep your eyes open for a defender pedal assembly, you can pick them up for £20 at an autojumble, if you get one with the type 50 servo it'll bolt straight in without doctoring the wings & bonnet all you need to change is the pipe unions to suit the master - easily done in place if you have a flaring tool.

I don't have a g valve in mine, do you think they really make a difference? Thinking back my old TD 90 never had one either that was converted from a factory HT to a pickup.

I do wonder if you're having more trouble with the back end because the springs are already making it nose dive and thus transferring even more weight to the front than usual.

Hmmmm, went to anchor on today I felt a "thunk" through the pedal and now the front left seems to be much stronger I must have had seized pistons since it was stood for a year? Calliper rebuilds now a priority!

Where do I get stainless pistons?

Zeus Engineerig do kits for around £100 for all callipers. They're truly excellent - they're so well finished that they look chrome plated, which worried me because I didn't want chrome flaking off and causing leaks; I called them to enquire and it turns out they just like to polish the stainless well beyond what is really necessary. I've had two sets, and happily recommend them.

• 3 weeks later...

Kettle's had her disc brakes on for about 2 months now and all is well. There's not been a single instance of pulling to one side or the other, as you'd expect, and braking is very positive. There's not been any case of the rears locking up before the front's either. There's over 500 miles on them now and I am very pleased with them. I haven't yet tried to fit the wheels without the spacers in, though I think they'd clear. I'm not worried about it at the moment as I'm not keen on having the front track narrower than the rear, so until I do the rears I think I'll keep them in anyways. Really do need to get started on the rear conversion...first up, a pair of disco callipers need rebuilding!