Question On Auto's

reads90

Ok

I have company car which is Auto.

Need to ask some what may seem (or Be ) stupid questions, about auto's. Have not owned an auto before so Manily to see if mine is ok or buggered

When you put it into drive it takes a bit of time to think about it. Is this normal for autos. It's just you hit the load pedal and nothing happens untill it clicks in and then you look a tit as the back wheels just spin on the spot , and you go no where.

Also when you are drivng along and you kick down . It revs right up (and i mean up , red lines) and then changes down. But what this causes you to do is, again spin the back wheels and fish tail up the road. (revs a bit like you expect from a maual with a nackered clutch) But also make the drive very very jerky

And the other night a Monaro wanted a play, well rude not to. But was going around this corner just on the limit of grip, when all of a sudden the gear box decided it was going to change down. This mean't higger revs and more speed which then kicked the back of the car out. Not too much to worry about, Brought it back in line even if it did seem the scare the monaro which backed off abit (which was behind at the time, well all the time, now i come to think about it, think they can drive fast aussie's but 90mph is almost like breaking the sound barrier to them :) ). Is this normal for an auto to do this, just was not expecting it and does wake you up when it happens.

so are these a bit normal for an auto or should i book it into the garage. Or am i being a bit quick for it and a ruff ar*e on the box. After all a gear box is the only box left to tick on a part of a car i have not broken yet :)

Cheers

Ali

When you select 'drive', the car should lurch a bit, and pretty-much straight away too.

If you press the accelerator pedal too quickly, then the gearbox will react as if it was a kick down, and drop a gear and take off at the same time. The engine shouldn't red-line though, unless you totally floor the pedal.

Changing up or down in any gear should be smooth, with just a slight lurch - up or down gears.

Have you got sports mode button on your vehicle?

Could be you're not familiar with the vehicle if you just got it.

Les. :)

When you select 'drive', the car should lurch a bit, and pretty-much straight away too.

If you press the accelerator pedal too quickly, then the gearbox will react as if it was a kick down, and drop a gear and take off at the same time. The engine shouldn't red-line though, unless you totally floor the pedal.

Changing up or down in any gear should be smooth, with just a slight lurch - up or down gears.

Have you got sports mode button on your vehicle?

Could be you're not familiar with the vehicle if you just got it.

Les. :)

Have a power button as they call it. That is off. Did leave it on the other day when it was wet and could not pull away from the traffic lights. Then worked out that it was on still. Turned if off and was better at pulling away. But nah still does it with the power button off.

mmm had it nearly 3 months now, and it is very lurchy even driving like a grannie :)

I have not had an Auto before hence why asking the questions

Have a power button as they call it. That is off. Did leave it on the other day when it was wet and could not pull away from the traffic lights. Then worked out that it was on still. Turned if off and was better at pulling away. But nah still does it with the power button off.

mmm had it nearly 3 months now, and it is very lurchy even driving like a grannie :)

I have not had an Auto before hence why asking the questions

Ali,

I'd book it into the garage or see if you can take a demonstrator out to see if it is the same. That sounds a bit looney to me... As Les says, it should only redline if you hold the pedal to the carpet while it accelerates and goes to change up...

Have you got yourself a brUTE type nickname yet? :)

Ali,

I'd book it into the garage or see if you can take a demonstrator out to see if it is the same. That sounds a bit looney to me... As Les says, it should only redline if you hold the pedal to the carpet while it accelerates and goes to change up...

Prob the same one he had here :

"RUteFF AR*E" :D

Nige

Ali,

See the only problem with it redlining is it is a Holdern Commadore SS Ute. Which means it is a 6ltr V8. . So it has no weight in the back and then the thing red lines and then (what feels like) drops the clutch on its self.

mmm may have to take it in the Holdern and get thm to look at it.

Nah have not got a nickname yet. Still being call Pom with odd abjective place in front or behind :)

See the only problem with it redlining is it is a Holden Commodore SS Ute. Which means it is a 6ltr V8. . So it has no weight in the back and then the thing red lines and then (what feels like) drops the clutch on its self.

mmm may have to take it in the Holden and get thm to look at it.

Nah have not got a nickname yet. Still being call Pom with odd abjective place in front or behind :)

I know what you've got - :( I want one!! ;) and really seriously thought of trying to get one to the UK except they don't do a Double Cab and our silly price for motion lotion... :ph34r:

Had a hire car in the states with an auto box that behaved exactly like that - without as much grunt to make it scary though, it was only an Oldsmobile Alero (pretty much a Vectra under the skin, I think). Horrible car.

Overtaking was a bit of an art - you had to wind it up before you actually wanted to pull out. Sort of like it had a rubber band transmission :ph34r:

Being a hire car it may well have been utterly thrashed, though.

So Ali, you have a 6l V8 RWD automatic pick-up and you are surprised that you can spin the wheels and find control difficult when the box kicks down while cornering, is that right? :lol:

They do not have traction control on Holdens either do they? RocKeR found that out to his cost!

Sorry, no disrespect, but I think that driver techniqiue is largely at fault here - although I have no idea whether the 'box may be at fault too.

Chris

Ali, auto shouldn't do that. Yes they sometimes shift at odd points (like mid corner when you start to come on the power) but once you get used to them they're OK. Oh, and keep the 'sport' button on as it locks the TC (so drives more like a manual) and makes it kick down faster.

Take it into the garage and see what they say.

Ali, auto shouldn't do that. Yes they sometimes shift at odd points (like mid corner when you start to come on the power) but once you get used to them they're OK. Oh, and keep the 'sport' button on as it locks the TC (so drives more like a manual) and makes it kick down faster.

Take it into the garage and see what they say.

does not have traction control . Know that for sure. as you can do a really quick unturn in it. But think it has a LSD rear diff

Would have to slightly agree with the fact i have to get used to it. First petrol car i have had in about 10years. So not the ideal car to have after a line of diesels. A 6ltr V8 mmmm :unsure:

But hey company car with fuel card, so rude not too :)

Sounds very similar to issues I had with my autobox a year or so ago after having it 'repaired' after I lost all forward gears. I ended up (after a fruitless several months talking/spending with the main dealer :ph34r: ) taking it to Ashcrofts and getting a recon 'box from them.

That cured the problem and according to Dave Ashcroft the governor in my old box came out of a Vauxhall, ironically. <_<

I'm not suggesting that the governor in yours came out of a Land Rover ( :rolleyes: ) but I suspect it may be faulty, since it shouldn't be doing what it's doing.

And Fatboy was right......there was no need to stick that photo on, it's just not fair! :(

Ali

What is the millage

My disco has been iffy on the Auto box side up till me and pete discovered that changing the Auto box fluid at every service and not just every other like the book said has made a big improvment to the cars drive ability as pete takes the cronic pi55 out of my flat out attitude to my disco on the motorway and it was starting to show in the fluid as it was starting to discolour in only 16,000 miles which is when it gets serviced (about every three months).

this will also hopfuly make it last a little longer.

Thats the filter as well gets changed every service

if it changes down when you cornering you too heavy with the power you should be able to feel when it is going to kick down as your foot is a longe way down.

and if you start trying to left foot brake with that thing it will kill you you mad bar stuard

With a auto and 6lt V8 all going to the ares end I think you find it intersting :blink:

Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they actually are. :unsure:

On the other hand, they may have been just in front of you a moment ago!! :D