LSx in a Defender

Theoretically speaking, I want to connect my LSx series V8 to my LT230 with an off the shelf adapter, with a GM auto box in between. What auto box and adapter would I use?

I see that marks 4wd do an adapter for the 4L80e, but are there any other options?

6 pot which 6 speed box?

6l90 and 6l80 are options but I'm not aware of anyone actually doing it in a defender. There are adapters available for the transfer case (us 4x4 I forget the name) but the problem seems to be that the output is on the wrong side of the engine

I have heard they can be clocked. But did not consider it an option 4 me

The other option is a t56 or tr6060 / t56 magnum (they are different) and I am aware of one person in the us putting one in a range rover classic behind a chevy diesel (ex hummer)

The 6l80/ 6l90 is available and does offer many advantages as it's canbus controlled directly from the ecu (gm or one aftermarket manufacturer)

I'm abroad at the moment but if you want more info I can dig it out next week

Advanced adapters in the us do another adapter plate for the 4l80 to lt230 But it is the same as the marks adapters one

Rakeway will make you whatever you desire but these conversions cost a whole lot to do. The engine is a minor part. You need to think about axles too. Crown wheel and pinion being the weakest link then maybe the cv joints (depend on your axle and which lsx you wish to run) then if you're using the lt230 the centre diff is the next item to consider. Then if you intend to use low box on the lr230 the intermediate shaft / casing sleeve

Dave W on here did an ls conversion (write up on Yorkshire forum)

There is a guy called corvette Dave who did one on the Scottish landrover owners club

But they are all 4l80 conversions (similar to mez)

Corvette Dave had the lt230 input gear resplined same as I intend to to keep the conversion short as possible for a 90

Corvette Dave used the lt230 Q box (finer gears / more teeth

I used the Marks 4WD adaptor for mine. It does make the combo about 6 inches longer than the standard combo though which meant moving the gearbox mounts backwards. Would be VERY tight on a 90 without carving the A frame cross member I suspect. The length is due to the angle of the LT230 and the need for the front nose/propshaft to clear the side of the gearbox sump. With a different gearbox with a narrower sump the adaptor may not need to be as long.

Have you considered using an Atlas transfer box ? Might be cheaper in the long run and gives you more flexibility re ratios and selectable 2wd/4wd etc... It's one of those things that, with hindsight, if I were to do the conversion again, I'd have done. It's the cost of an adaptor and the extra length vs the cost of the transfer box and accessories (park brake kit, shift levers etc...) The Atlas doesn't have the long front output nose of the LT230 so the whole combo can be much shorter as well as giving you the 2WD front/rear options.

Having said that I fitted mine in 2007 and have only destroyed one LT230 since then and that was operator error (forgot to put the diff lock back in after a lunch break, got stuck and used too much loud pedal, destroying the centre diff).

A number of reasons, I theoretically need a number of these adaptors, let's say 50 for the sake of argument. Marks 4wd and advanced adapters can likely supply a quantity of that size inside a 12week lead time. An existing product already has the necessary testing and bona fides, whereas an alternative might be breaking new ground and require (costly and time consuming) development work before you have the confidence to offer a warranty on the part

There is a guy making adapters in the States. Gen 4 engines and 6L80E transmissions. He does the transfer case adapters and engine mounts. Full bolt in for a Defender with V8 mounts. PM nmarkiw through Defendersource for details. I believe he has current stock. See post #18 for the basic information.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51290

Rakeway will do what you want with a developed system

When I began my mamouth task of an ls7 into a 90, I spoke to a chap at rakeway for a bit of guidance plus to get an idea of costs for their

solution or advice, their recommendation was a Tremec TKO500 /600 with the LT230 using their adapters which I was informed they had done about 10 on a recient order (I suspected that it may have been for something like qt services wildcats, but was not told a customer but thought if they'd just bought 10 at £6k ish including the gearbox + vat they must be cash rich with a good customer base (could have been twisted developments for the ls3 110 they took to the gumball rally too on reflection, but that was suppose to be going auto for the ones sold to the customers as I think the manual change is probably a bit harsh on the drivetrain with a long stick, lot of torque and the potential to miss a change (personal guess) (I'm hoping to use a pneumatic shift .... Nothing like a long project and hard work)

No harm lost in a phone call, the guy I spoke with was very helpful, sorry I could not use his services as I'm sure it would have been first rate just not within my budgets (hence having a go my own way and I have no rush.... I may even end up using rakeway if it doesn't pan out my way)

The tremec tko is available as a 500 and a 600 which is basically the torque rating and a different first gear ratio of the same 5 speed manual box. (Apologies if you know this, here to help)

Nice post red90. I was thinking of either an 6l80/90 with my ls7 but the torque is marginal. So I had a toss up manual or auto neither of which were readily available in the uk. And I could not find dimensional specs on the 6l80/90 (width and length ) hence went 6 speed manual ..... Damn if I can find a 6l90 from an escalade or hummer I may change my plans with a kit from that feller. ... Need to finish the write up