HD Halfshaft help

Lewis

My mate is having some trouble with halfshafts since simultaneously shearing the drive flange bolts and short side rear halfshaft at the weekend

His existing setup is maxidrive shafts and flanges with arb lockers and ashcroft cv's, the car is a 1997 90 300tdi.

He has a new pair of late Ashcroft shafts to fit but now we've stripped it down they are too short. The maxidrive shafts which are being replaced measure the same as the early Ashcroft shafts which leads me to conclude that at some point early wide bearing hubs have been retrofitted to the 300tdi axles

So how do we proceed?

Options seem to be

1) change the hubs to later narrow bearing type,

2) sell the Ashcroft nsr (late) shafts and buy Ashcroft osr (early) shafts, or

3) buy the Ashcroft 859 drive flanges and hope that their reduced thickness allows enough spline engagement at the diff whilst still getting a circlip on the flange end

Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Some pictures, just because everyone loves a picture

57B61662-8FFB-4CE9-949C-3C0DF86D04CB_zps

CC6BB376-B8F9-4B00-86C2-457A53490F63_zps

015635DE-13F3-4016-9C50-6738E1E2A27E_zps

the drive member on the left belongs to a wide, early hub. Option 1 and 2 will work, option 3 won't I think. My suggestion is option 2, as in my opinion, the wider hubs work better for running big wheels with big offset. I run this with genuine land rover drive members as the weak link in the drive train.

Daan

Option 3 won't work as the PCD of the holes is slightly different I believe.

I know that the one piece (mushroom) type halfshafts have a different pcd, I wasn't aware that the factory separate drive flanges had different pcd's