IT Question

Anglo-Frenchman

Hi,

I was hoping that some of the less IT challenged forum members might be able to assist me. I have downloaded a movie from the net as a uTorrent file but have no idea how to convert this into something thayt I can actually view or indeed burn onto a DVD. Anyone out there with more than the hint of a clue?

L/R content? I was powerwashing off the 110 while it was was downloading - well it actually took almost 2 days to download so I did one or two other things also!

Thanks,

Ged

Hi,

I was hoping that some of the less IT challenged forum members might be able to assist me. I have downloaded a movie from the net as a uTorrent file but have no idea how to convert this into something thayt I can actually view or indeed burn onto a DVD. Anyone out there with more than the hint of a clue?

L/R content? I was powerwashing off the 110 while it was was downloading - well it actually took almost 2 days to download so I did one or two other things also!

Thanks,

Ged

Download something called DIVX, that will probably know how to play it - always works for my downloads. ;)

Chris

Video_TS/AUDIO_TS are DVD .VOB files which go to make a DVD, your easiest option would be to use Nero to burn them to a DVD and watch on the TV (use the "open DVD video files" or similar menu). I'm sure there are DVD to .avi converters out there but I tend to download AVI's and convert them to DVD so I can watch them on the big telly B)

Ged - what is the final extension of the file you have downloaded? .mov .avi .mpg .vob ...?

If the download is made up of a number of files named like "xxxx.001, xxxx.002, xxxx.003" etc then it will more than likely be a compressed spanned file containing an DVD .iso, if so get a free compressed file program like winRAR and browse to the 1st file in the sequence “xxxx.001” and open it with winRAR, you will then see a single file called “xxxx.iso” witch can then be extracted to a specific folder, as winrar automatically reads the spanning dater from the 1st compressed file it automaticly extracts from “xxxx.002, xxxx.003 etc“

an .iso file is basically an CD/DVD image file witch most good burning programs can use to burn a disk.

b101uk

uTorrent is a bittorrent client not a programe file.

I assume you have a 'torrent file' which is only the details of the file, what it is and how big it is. This file points the 'tracker' to the host of computers which have that specific file, and thus you download.

The downloaded file will be in your downloads folder (where you set it up to save it.)

If I have explained what you already know then I apologise, and I refer to what Paul said; What is the file extension?

Right, I think we're getting there...

You have downloaded "somethingorother.torrent"

This is a small file (62kb) that tells a program like uTorrent or BitComet where/how to download the BIG video file "somethingorother.avi" (for example) which it will then download to your PC for viewing/burning to DVD.

When you have installed a program like uTorrent, you then open this .torrent file and it will automatically start downloading the target file.

Basically you have downloaded the map, not the treasure ;)

Thanks and that seems to make sense, but this small 'map' took about 48hrs to download to the PC! How long with the film take!!!!

I think that you have downloaded the film you intended to (if you have 768MB downloaded over 48 hours) but that the uTorrent etc. has saved it in a different folder to the one where the .torrent file is saved. Try the "Search" feature in the "Start" menu to search for a distinctive word in the movie name - this will search on your hard disk. My guess is that you will find it under "My Documents" in a folder called something like "Movies" or in a foilder somewhere called "Shared". Try searching for it on your computer.

Chris

D'OH, beaten to it! :) Glad you found it.

Thanks for help. I've located the file with the search option but when I try to open it it says its a'BIN file' and none of my video progs will run it ie Media player, Nero Showtime or the DivX program.

Incidentally Muddyplugger, when I follow the menu option on the uTorrent program I don't seem to have the 'downloads' option in the lh column.

the reason that your initial torrent file took so long to download is that there were probably no people seeding it so for most of the two days it wasnt as such downloading. ideally the best torrents to go for are ones that have lots of seeders.

torrent downloading works because you download while uploading, so if u upload more than u are helping to keep the download speeds fast.

best sites are www.btjunkie.org , www.torrentspy.com and http://thepiratebay.org/