Td5 instrument panel fuel warning light / fog light

Fitted a td5 dash to my 1996 300tdi 90, everything works fine except for the low fuel warning light - it stays in all the time except when the fog light is switched on it turns off, then when the fog light is turned off again, the low fuel light comes back on.

The vehicle didn't have a low fuel warning fitted so I have wired it up to the td5 speedo / fuel gauge feed

Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes it is all wired correctly.

I have just read up about the speedo damping the fuel sender signal and activating the fuel light so I replaced the speedo with the one I have purchased for my hicap- with a replacement speedo it all functions fine, put the original speedo back in and the fuel light is playing up again, so I am guessing that the original speedo has a problem with its fuel circuitry?

Sorry to jump in and hijack this thread but does anyone know what fuel sender i should use in a standard fuel tank when upgrading the dash to a TD5 type?

I have all the connectors etc but they don't seem to match the unit currently fitted.

Thanks and appologies once again.

Can't remember if you have a 90 or 110,

but for a 110 pre td5 just use the standard sender unit with 3 elect connections -- earth, low fuel light, fuel gauge, LR part number PRC8463 picture here http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89988/0/fuel_tank_sender_unit_110_ja915357_defender

wire sender low fuel connection direct to low fuel light, don't bother taking it through the speedo connection.

Can't remember if you have a 90 or 110,

but for a 110 pre td5 just use the standard sender unit with 3 elect connections -- earth, low fuel light, fuel gauge, LR part number PRC8463 picture here http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89988/0/fuel_tank_sender_unit_110_ja915357_defender

wire sender low fuel connection direct to low fuel light, don't bother taking it through the speedo connection.

Hi Ralph not sure if you were responding to me or oneandtwo but if it was to me i have a 90 with the centre fuel tank with i believe 3 flat blade type connections one the sender unit, i will have a look to see if these will work direct "on the bench"

Appologies oneand two and good luck with yours.

Cheers

Kev

Hi Ralph not sure if you were responding to me or oneandtwo but if it was to me i have a 90 with the centre fuel tank with i believe 3 flat blade type connections one the sender unit, i will have a look to see if these will work direct "on the bench"

Appologies oneand two and good luck with yours.

Cheers

Kev

My last reply was for you KEV :i-m_so_happy:

• 1 year later...

So time for a thread revival as I finally repaired the faulty speedo I sold OneAndTwo all those years ago.

The faulty fuel light is caused by a blown transistor on the speedo main board.

It's a BC817-25 in case anyone else has to replace it on their speedo. I've circled it on the picture.

post-25689-0-80103800-1468098521_thumb.jpg

I'm not sending this speedo back to OneAndTwo as I've got him a replacement one, I'm currently awaiting the replacement transistor for this one but have proved the fault by replacing with a transistor in the wrong package type as a temporary measure.

Anyway, so there you have it.