Trip to the Pyrenees

GBMUD

I couldn't see is that a copy of Lre?? ;);););););)

One of those mags Steve, LRO i think :unsure:

James pulled it from under his seat, where he hides all his mucky mags :lol:

All his idea, nowt to do with Jimbo or me

My contribution, although these should be titled "trip to France" rather than just the Pyrenees!

Started off in the Gorge du Tarn:

post-121-1180116065_thumb.jpgpost-121-1180116092_thumb.jpg

post-121-1180116131_thumb.jpg

Stopped off for a bit of bridge spotting for the geeky engineer in St Enemie

post-121-1180116158_thumb.jpg

Spotted a bit of wildlife on the way:

post-121-1180116194_thumb.jpg

Gratuitous shot of my two "interests" :lol:

post-121-1180116228_thumb.jpgpost-121-1180116253_thumb.jpg

Visited this cave - very impressive "Abime de Bramabiau" Pictures from inside don't do it justice so here's a look from outside!

post-121-1180116302_thumb.jpg

Then went on to the Grotte de Dargilan. Again photos don't do it justice - the rock formations inside are mind blowing. This stalagtite / stalagmite column is 16m high and about 2m across. Growth rate was estimated in this cave at 5cm per century for a straw like stalagtite so do the maths!!

post-121-1180116342_thumb.jpg

There is also a 2000m2 covered with this:

post-121-1180117017_thumb.jpg

Entry to Carcassonne old city for those that couldn't make it! :D

post-121-1180116408_thumb.jpg

Lunch on top of La Madelene near the auberge was interrupted by a curious mare...

post-121-1180116453_thumb.jpg

Took a trip up to this lake "Lac de Bious-Artigues" at 4,500 feet - about the highest we got. Fantastic views in all directions

post-121-1180116493_thumb.jpgpost-121-1180116527_thumb.jpg

Stopped off in St Emilion for a spot of wine shopping..... :blink::blink::blink:

post-121-1180116553_thumb.jpg

then sobered up rather suddenly with a visit to the Normandy beaches and cemeteries. No pictures from the cemeteries as to be frank I wasn't capable, nor did it feel right. But here's one from the memorial to the US Rangers at Pointe du Hoc which has been left untouched:

post-121-1180116590_thumb.jpg

Big place France - 3,100miles in 12 days and barely scratched the surface....

Guest WALFY

Bish

Nowt wrong with taking pics in a cemetery. Especially if it is a war grave cemetery.

These are from a trip near Ypres last year. And the Menin Gate

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01502.jpg

Nice masonary bridge. I now how to do all the calcs to blow it up. Nice course I've just been on.

Thanks Tim, James & Charles ………….. excellent………

This is just for Bish …………… a small famous French village where the bridge crosses the intersection of two very famous French rivers …………..and not a million miles from where you were ……………….

I took this in 2005…………..

gallery_269_31_31931.jpg

:)

Ian

Guest WALFY

Tim

The staggering bit about it is the names on the walls are of soldiers who ave no graves. We went to Tyne Cott cemetary and the names on the wall is amazing plus the 11000 graves. See my pic above. It's the only war grave cemetary that I know of with Germans buried aswell all be it there are only 7 there.

I had to leave after 1/2 hr as I got really angry/frustrated with about 1/2 dozen local kids coming in and playing tag/chase or whatever they called it all over the cross in the centre of the cemetary. :angry:

Guest WALFY

Tim

Did you look in the books at Menin to find your family name? It also tells you where on the wall it is shown aswell. There were only 7 Walford members on the list. All from London way.

Sorry for this thread hijack/tangent

Walfy - each to there own re the photos mate. I personally couldn't anyhow - couldn't see that far if you know what I mean.

The most moving cemetery that we visited only had 120 graves - 100 Commonwealth and 20 Germans in the middle of some fields outside Sequeville en Bessin. Apparently it was a battlefield cemetery so those guys must have fallen nearby. Even in that small a cemetery there was one unknown sodier.

The book of remembrance's last entry was from a chap who had just brought his father to see his brothers grave for the first time...... 61 years is a long time to wait.

Oh, and the calcs for blowing masonry arches? Double the answer you get! :lol: Bluddy strong bu99ers they are!

Ian, nice bridge!