TD5 Traction Control nightmare - please advise

SonnyJ

Just got a TD5 (reg 2000) and really concerned as doesn't seem able to cope with slight muddy terrain. I was towing a light horse trailer through the field and the tc light came on, it made a horrendous noise, tyre spin and wouldn't budge. I unhooked the trailer and still no better, so ended up having to reverse and creep it forward in less muddy part of field, but still was horrified that tc light coming on and struggling like anything! As this is my first Landrover and I was told it would easily drive over slight mud I am really shocked. Is there anything I can do? It is an automatic - I tried it in both high and low gear and still the same response. Just relievd I got it out even with more struggle than a hyundaii coupe would have had. Does it need work on the tc, should I do something different - as now have trailer stuck in field, to try and get trailer out? If it needs tc work - is this a huge cost? Any advice before I take to a garage would be a massive help- the amounf=t of mud it got stuck on was ridiculous.

Many thanks for any help.

And yes, TC sounds horrific to me, just like ABS constantly cutting in, which in effect it is.

Yup, on my P38 I can hear the tack-tack-tack-tack from the valves long before the TC light even comes on.

As others have said, any vehicle will be useless without proper tyres, or on a muddy surface with frozen ground underneath.

I hope you kept on the revs when the TC light was on. The TC system needs to detect an reasonable difference in wheel speed for best effect and most newbies back off when the light and the rattles begin which then stops the TC and the car. As mentioned tyres also help.

Garry

Yep,

Just back from clay pigeon shooting in a very muddy field.

I was in a 2011 Hilux :ph34r: in the LR box with the rear diff locked & was still sliding everywhere.

Road tyres can't get much purchase in gloopy mud so I wouldn't blame the Disco.

The sound is nothing directly to do with the tyres (indirectly yes) - it is the normal sound of the TC working. You also get the same sound when you engage Hill Decent and the ABS brake system activates as they all use the brakes system.

If your tyres don't have a lot of grip, as in HT tyres then they will slip more than say MT so the TC will activate more with the associated sound and shudder in the brake system - all normal.

By way of example I currently drive a Range Rover Sport and it is exactly the same. My previous car was a Freelander 1 diesel and it initially was fitted with Highway Terrain tyres - in the wet clay the traction control was operating constantly with its associated noise and shuddering. I then changed to BFG All Terrain tyres and driving in the same conditions the TC rarely operated as the tyres were getting better grip.