Random wheel and tyre thoughts.

Nigelw

Mrs. Nigelw often tells me that somethings really should stay inside my head, but this is going somewhere, I hope :unsure:

I posted this thread yesterday http://http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=92529 , since posting it, my head has been rather busy thinking and wondering about the whole subject of wheels and tyres.

What is it that makes us choose the type and size of tyres that we do?

My choices were simple, tall enough to tackle Defender sized ruts and wide enough to provide enough flotation when I drop the pressures for soft running but narrow enough for sticky clays where you need narrow widths to cut in and bite into firm drier grounds for traction.

I first posted a thread about tyre pressures to see what most other folk run http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=92026&hl= which gave me other things to think about after some youtube research, low pressures for max footprint could compromise the outer bead and force it off the rim, giving bigger problems. To top it all off I have always had this fascination with peoples fashion for things that are not what they seem, ie, look-a-like bead locking rims, necessary for the low pressures are proper bead lock rims, then came the video linked above.

Now I find myself in a quandry about the whole thing. Having bought a new set of tyres to save the Coopers I now need rims, yet another issue, looking at rims brought the whole beadlock thing to a head, what to do??? I want plain steels for the coopers, but I would like a wider off-set, I am drawn to the idea of having beadlocks so I can run sub 10psi pressures without worrying for the beads.

Not sure where the hell this is going but god help me :ph34r:

What is it that makes us choose the type and size of tyres that we do? :ph34r:

In my case I'm after primarily on-road performance but don't want to be left floundering when it comes to towing the flatbed across a showground or into the forest for wood-collection or fence-maintenance.

750-16 General SAGs and Avon Rangemasters, on standard Defender wheels, work just fine for me.

[For any heavier off-road work I have occasional access to some four-hoof-drive options: the Welsh Cob is faster and more manoeuverable but the maximum rated towing ability of a Clydesdale takes some beating] ]

Just get a set of Stauns and pick whatever wheel you want.

They seem prohibitively expensive and not exactly highly rated from quite a few threads I've researched about them.

Anyone got experience of these? full set of 5 works out the same as a set of the Stauns :o

Are beadlocks legal in the UK?

Another option is bead sealant on the rim - I've run much lower than 10, a lot, without beadlocks or bead sealant.

Poor man's beadlock is putting in screws - either right into the rubber like drag racers do - no my favorite - or running through the rim just inside the bead, to keep it in place. There's a long thread on this on Pirate4x4 somewhere.........I might still have a link....

bead sealant thread

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/583584-tech-bead-sealer-****.html

ah! found the "diy beadlock" thread - screws :D

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/340906-diy-beadlocks.html

And it helps to run a narrow rim for a given tire width. For a 315/75-16 for instance they recommend a rim width of 8-10", I run them on 7" wide rims, helps to keep them on the rim at low pressure. I never had an issue at 12psi.

I wanted a tall tire, I actually wanted 37" but that meant I had to change diff ratios and 17" rims. All in all that would be near 3000euro, which is ridiculous. So I went with 35s, no need to swap rims or diff ratio. Most, or all 35s, come only in a 12.5 (or 315) flavour so not much choice there.

I run standard road pressures with correct rim for tyre, the only time I've dropped them was at ladoga which resulted in a fair few tyres off rims (3 off in the space of a mile on one stage that wore thin quickly). With the best will in the world I'm not sure there's much point unless your in a competition yes grip is better but at the risk of punching tyres off rims.

Beadlocks are great but more unsprung weight and not easy to balance so do you really need them?

As for tyres I'm really impressed with km2's in 285/75x16 (33") big enough for most situations more than acceptable on road and the best normal mud tyres I've run/seen.

Mike

You see there Mike, I run 235 as opposed to the 285 as I wanted a narrow'ish tyre, 285s are very wide and in my opinion have too great a flotation to bite into sticky clays? I could easily be wrong? But that is also a slight downfall of the 235, it is narrower, and hence the desire to be able to drop pressures to achieve the maximum flotation from the tyres. If you can see what I mean through my inarticulate ramblings.

I suppose it'll be suck it and see when I am back out on the trails again.

Although I was flicking through some old threads and came across a split rim with a PVC insert to lock both beads but can't find out anything more about the idea, google hates me today :angry2:

I ran 235's (km1) on the disco but didn't drop pressures. The wider tyres are better here but that may be down to diameter and pattern.

Mouse and I think petal before ran the split rim and plastic tube set up iirc the rims were staz works (from the us) but the tube was industrial sewer pipe cut to the width of the rim minus tyre bead width. You put the tube into the tyre then drop each half of the rim in with rubber seal in between bolt up and inflate (then repeat because the bugger is leaking).

Mike

I've seen a system in which you fit a dummy tube, made from a sort of air-tight, non-stretch canvas, which is as wide as the rim but not as tall as the tyre. This is inflated to a fairly high pressure so the tyre never pops off the rim. A second valve fills the (effectively tubless) tyre to whatever pressure you need (as low as 0 p.s.i. if you want). It is a brilliant system but I've only seen it the once (on a friend's 90) so wonder if there is some hidden issue with it.

In terms of size, I'm a big fan of 255/85s on a Land Rover. A few manufacturers make them (BFG, Maxxis at least) I've seen 255/100s advertised which would be great if you need more height but they're hen's teeth.

I've seen a system in which you fit a dummy tube, made from a sort of air-tight, non-stretch canvas, which is as wide as the rim but not as tall as the tyre. This is inflated to a fairly high pressure so the tyre never pops off the rim. A second valve fills the (effectively tubless) tyre to whatever pressure you need (as low as 0 p.s.i. if you want). It is a brilliant system but I've only seen it the once (on a friend's 90) so wonder if there is some hidden issue with it.

In terms of size, I'm a big fan of 255/85s on a Land Rover. A few manufacturers make them (BFG, Maxxis at least) I've seen 255/100s advertised which would be great if you need more height but they're hen's teeth.