Cylinder head swap urgent problems need sorting

I have finally got around to doing my head gasket using a pre skimmed head I bought in advance off ebay

All went well today until I got the rocker off and discovered worn caps, which in turn have pitted and damaged some of the rocker faces. So replacement rocker needed and new caps. No problem I thought I can order a second hand one cheap enough, in the mean time I can get on with rebuilding the rest of the engine etc back up.

Next problem the replacement head is clean as a whistle its flat, no threads, dowels etc. Their are no dowel locating pegs to align the gasket. So I need to transfer them from my existing head, they appear split. Can they be contracted with a pair of mole grips to remove them and swap them over ?

This one may sound stupid but how do you get the injectors out ? Ended up lifting the old head off with them still in. I disconnected all the pipework and removed the small support brackets now at a loss how they come out ? Do they unscrew or are they a tight push fit and I have to work them loose ? does not discuss actually getting them out in my manual I am assuming they unscrew ?

Last problem I need to transfer all the threaded stubs from my existing head to the replacement head, are the threads anti clockwise to remove them and would you recommend using mole grips as a means of getting them out. Or is there a better and easier way ?

Back on the job tomorrow hopefully re-assembling so would appreciate some help please.

Theyre just pushed into the head, the holes fill with rubbish and bind them in so you will have to spray some wd40 about and work them free. For removal of studs, i like the 2 nuts locked together method, moles slip and crush the thread.

Yes the dowels just compress slightly and come out, then tap them into the block face is easiest.

Good news and bad thanks to all the tips got all stubs off head on.

Bad news one of the locating dowels broke when trying to fit in head not a major problem you think.

But only found half looked everywhere I can only assume it dropped in one of the holes in the block probably water Cooling hole. Had prod around but could not feel or see it.

As I have now re assembled head, whats worse case scenario ? Assume it could reach the water pump and jam it ! Or get trapped somewhere ?

Cannot afford full strip down to locate it either time or money.

Next problem was rocker 3 valve stem caps had worn and damaged surface of rockers one badly. So ordered another rocker assembly and new caps, expense I didn't need but easily replaced.

The missing dowel part is worrying me though any advice ?

If the dowel broke when hitting it with a hammer I would say it would had traveled a fair bit and wold think it would have missed the head all togeather.

They are hard and sprung steel so spring a long way.

I would be very surprised if it has went in the head unless it split while you was fitting the head.

Definitely split still have one half the other almost certainly dropped down the hole for coolant recirculation :-(.

I opened another thread cylinder head update.

Is there a drain point low down at front of the block I can try to access or flush it through ?

Would have been better if it dropped into the sump as the strainer will make sure it stays where it is. Possibly could damage the water pump, but probably not wreck it. You have various core plugs in the block. It might be worth popping them out where necessary in order to try and find it.

Les.

Worse case scenario is it gets in water pump then !

What if I remove the inlet hose to the water pump and place mesh of some description over and re-connect hose. As long as the seal is good around the hose would that sort the risk for time being of damaging the pump ?

I could attach strong magnet to the hose and check periodically ?

I am hoping with fingers crossed it just sits somewhere lodged in the block and wont move, or am I being too optimistic

Sorry please excuse my ignorance I am a basic have a go diy type.

Helped out in the past doing car gaskets so thought I would have a go at the landrover and was doing okay till this happened.

Never taken a core plug out and would not know where they are or tools i would need !

And to answer your question yes I am worried about it so its got to be done.

Thanks for the reply by the way much appreciated at least it sounds feasable to get it out.

Ok, core plug. If the engine is out or clear all round and you don't know when they were last done, I'd whip them out. I had one go just before Christmas. They're little pressed steel discs which are located around the block, and the idea is the let go if the coolant freezes - the yanks call them freeze plugs. This happens when the antifreeze mix isn't kept up right, but also, when you let it get weak, they also corrode, and then they let go too. If you've got the manifolds off, have a look on the side of the block where the turbo sits, you'll see 3 large discs, about 2" diameter, these are the core plugs. There's also some others around, one on the back of the block and the head,, sure there's some others, can't remember without looking in the book.

To change them, first make an accurate note of where the old ones sit - flush? 2mm set in? 4mm set in? Then go any buy genuine and only genuine LR replacements...they cost an absolute fortune mind, but cheaper than having one let go and dump all the coolant...all of about £2 each.... You also want some hard setting loctite, I used 638 on mine, that's what I had to hand. Removing the old ones is easy, hammer a sharp implements through it, twist it until it pops out. Now clean the hole back to bare metal - don't remove metal, but polish it up nicely, get it all shiny, no trace of rust. Find yourself a socket that fits in the back of the plug - I use a 36mm socket and a 1/2" extension. You need to make sure there's about a 1mm gap all round between the socket and the lip of the plug, otherwise the socket gets stuck in the hole too. Now coat the core plug all the way round the outside with the loctite, and hammer it in the hole back to the same place the old one was.

JD!

That's what Wards in Rugby taught me, and mine is still fine some 300 miles later!

Thanks for that great feel more confident now about removing and fitting the plug.

Apologies again for more questions.

Can I do this with engine in place and more importantly whats the likely hood I will retreave my broken section of dowel from there ?

You can do it in place, mine dropped the front one and I had to take the manifolds off to get at it - you do need to get square on to it to get it in properly. I also had the wing off. If you know exactly which hole it dropped down then the chances are you'll be able to see it quite clearly. You get a 2" ish hole to see through.

Thank you very much for your help and advice you have put my mind at ease well I feel bit better about it now than past couple of days.

It fell down a coolant hole in front corner on passenger side.

Exhaust manifold is off well tilted back as per the manual instructions.

Don't relish taking wing off done it before on my old 2A but that was straight forward and I was younger then and didn't suffer from a hernia.

Suppose it does make it easier to look inside the engine though.

Thanks again for all your help and support.

Managed to find a magnetic flexible tool with a light for less than £5.

Loctite 638 bit more expensive £6.50.

The core plug is the problem so far I have only come across single aftermarket ones or genuine landrover in packs of 5 which is an odd number.