comp event marshalls

jules

I was co-driving for a mate at sidbury hill and some of the competitors were complaining that its always the same few guy's that turn up the day before to set up and the same few that help pack up after wards..

I have been there and I would assum so have others on here.

Now

to set up involves

some 4x4, hammer,stakes and a staple gun

set out the track with 4x4's

have a bit of a laugh playing on tracks to ensure the racers will get up over and round etc.

packing up involve the reverse.

All on massive site that normaly you would not get to play on..

surly a forum with as meany mebers as this one could have a volentier directory that the clubs to ask for help from time to time or that events could be posted on and local's could go along and have a play/help set up and even marshall while the recers drive round and crash, brake stuff etc...

Its only a idea and has probibly been trid before but is it worth a go for a bit of free play time.

I was co-driving for a mate at sidbury hill and some of the competitors were complaining that its always the same few guy's that turn up the day before to set up and the same few that help pack up after wards..

I have been there and I would assum so have others on here.

Now

to set up involves

some 4x4, hammer,stakes and a staple gun

set out the track with 4x4's

have a bit of a laugh playing on tracks to ensure the racers will get up over and round etc.

packing up involve the reverse.

All on massive site that normaly you would not get to play on..

surly a forum with as meany mebers as this one could have a volentier directory that the clubs to ask for help from time to time or that events could be posted on and local's could go along and have a play/help set up and even marshall while the recers drive round and crash, brake stuff etc...

Its only a idea and has probibly been trid before but is it worth a go for a bit of free play time.

If I had known about it I could at least have committed a few hours Sunday for strip-down as it's 5 mins from the house :)

Probably the best way is a simple post here on the International section. But I guess it's whether you want 'qualified' or just helpful volunteers?

i could be interested in a bit of that, i'm in Gravesend, Kent, are there many events in sensible commuting distance from me...?

i'm pretty stacked up for between now and christmas, but could well be interested for the new year....

let me know....

My wife goes down and helps more than me

its more a case of any help is welcomed I think

it must be the case for clubs all over the country

comp event you don't need to be fully MSA trained as there will be somone there who is that will give you a radio on the race day and tel you what you need to do and is gratful that you went along to help.

I could be wrong and I have not spoken to the club about this but from out side looking in, I thing any help would be welcomed..

bloody good area sidbury hill - did you drive the great big slopes to the south?

I was putting the 90 up that tank ramp too - scary angle!

If your club ever needsd any help for marshalling out there i and a few others woulld usually be up for it, in fact HBLRO would probably be interested

i was ok with it until this bit. why do we need to make sure the racers can get round?

seriously i could be persuaded

I used to marshal comp events on a regular basis for the AWDC including the British championship and Hill Rallies, mostly it was enjoyable and fun. If you get a challenging off road course (Sidbury is too dry and flat except the hill for me personaly) then you will be busy and get some good off roading at the end.

The only downside I felt, it can get a bit quiet out there plus when it’s lunch time the racers all get to eat hot food whilst you stay out and eat sandwiches (if you remember to bring them) then as soon as a racer has finnished racing they just p*#s off home.

I know this sounds like sour grapes but it seems to me that if you want more marshals then you need to make it more attractive, it does tend to be a thankless task and getting abused by a racer who does not want to use his own safety equipment doesn’t make it any better!

The best fun apart from towing a racer up a hill (I can get up here towing you but your unable to drive up by youself) was as said earlier in the thread, pulling up the bunting and driving around the course at the end. I guess that’s why I like comps where the course is a twisty, hilly and woody site. :D

I am a Rescue Marshal and have attended many events now over the last 12 months. I have to say that on the radio at Rallies etc it is the same Callsigns that you hear. There are a few websites out there if people want to know more :

http://www.volunteersinmotorsport.co.uk/

but as said above racers at lunch time do get hot food etc and marshalls nothing. At the end of the day marshalls are volunteers and should be rewarded for it.

Getting and keeping Marshalls is a major issue in most forms of motorsport nowadays . In the Hillclimb and sprinting world there are one or 2 ideas which have some merit . Some of the Championships give points for Marshalling , and I belive one or two insist on an minimum of marshalling points . In other places there is a scheme that by marshalling you gain brownie points . These can be transferred to members of your family and are redeemed when you enter as a competitor . Basically if you have a lot of brownie points you are at the head of the queue . If you have no points then you may not get an entry. The nice thing is that a competitor can bring a marshall with him/her and benefit.

Roger W

I know a few events i have attended for Borough 19MC which have been sprint events always give a good deal to there marshalls, you get vouchers for lunch and there is always a marshals draw at the end of the day with quite a few prizes. Just little things like that make all the difference

Scor marshalls get trophy's an stuff at the end of year prize giving night.

That anyone who has signed on as a marshall throughout the year.

In the Borc competeing I must admit I have been guilty of packing up and going without helping..

Hot food at lunch time. I missed that race...

sidbury hill the burger bur didn't turn up so we all went hungry.

I know what you meen about thankless but you can end up with the offer as co-drivers which is how I got started in racing on the set up days helping out.

me and the wife used to marshall before we were racing so our attitude is a little nice than some of the big boys towards the marshalls.

I have been stood on a cold hill side freezing with a grumpy dry competitor complaning about something.