I am not organising another greenlane trip

GBMUD

I suppose if I'd got around to making up a proper mount for the bottom of the spare wheel carrier in the four years since I fitted it then this probably wouldn't have happened...

post-10578-0-09828000-1426956258_thumb.jpg

Carrier is knackered too, play in all the joints, so spare wheel has been relegated to the inside of the car until I can make alternative arrangements.

Well it came with a car and never had one on that either so I just fitted it the same to this one when that car was put on SORN. It had been on my list of things to do to make a bracket for 'some time', and if the carrier hadn't been completely knackered I would have done it this morning. New spare wheel carrier on the cards I think, but might have to wait a while to save up first.

Still, not all bad news - just been to town and back, I hadn't realised how much noise that carrier had been making - car is strangely quiet all of a sudden! And I rebuilt the X-Brake too so now have a working handbrake again.

I suppose if I'd got around to making up a proper mount for the bottom of the spare wheel carrier in the four years since I fitted it then this probably wouldn't have happened...

image.jpg

Carrier is knackered too, play in all the joints, so spare wheel has been relegated to the inside of the car until I can make alternative arrangements.

Ouch indeed. That did well to last this long.

I recently fitted a swingaway carrier to the 110. Can take a photo of the bracket if that's any help. It's a pretty simple affair, one piece from hinge to chassis, no bolts through the lower body position.

Looks like you drove some good lanes. Wish I could have made it.

Indeed, I can see how that could cause upset!

Ouch indeed. That did well to last this long.
I recently fitted a swingaway carrier to the 110. Can take a photo of the bracket if that's any help. It's a pretty simple affair, one piece from hinge to chassis, no bolts through the lower body position.

Looks like you drove some good lanes. Wish I could have made it.

I think I see how the brackets work from photos on the net, cheers. General consensus online seems to be that the Mantec ones are the pick of the bunch for when the time comes to get a new carrier, but I'll have to look at it in detail at the time.

I had either a Bearmach or might even have been a Britpart one given to me for the Series and then moved onto the 110. (Haven't yet found anywhere to put it on the FFRR... Maybe passenger door?)

Having had one that didn't attach to the door. Don't go fit that ever! Such a pain in the backside, especially with a 90 as you're always in the boot and effectively opening two doors.

Forgot to say the one I had has very sturdy. If you don't grease it it holds the door open nicely too.

James,

The newer Mantec ones have a soft of piston affair that starts to rattle about soon after installation.

I fitted an additional rubber bush between the piston housing and wheel carrier so it's under compression when closed. Sorted....

The older hinged versions are much better in my opinion....

Mine is this design (or a copy of it):

http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/shop/index.php/defender/wheelcarrier/wheelcarrier-rear-door-pre-2002.html

There's lots of slop in the joints. I could probably revive it by sleeving the bolts (or upsizing them) to remove the play, or by welding washers on as we discussed. And then making a bracket to pick up on the chassis for mounting. All the joints are greasable so it should be able to live again, though it will need all the rubbish powdercoat removing first though and some paint applying.

Looking at the prices of new ones from just about anyone I think I'll be giving the above a go before splashing out!