Seats with built in belts

siearl

It might be me being a bit dumb but... would you not be better off making strong points to mount rear seat belts to around the existing seats than having to make strong points to mount the RangeRover seats to instead? Remember that if the seat belt is integral with the seat then the seat had to be bolted down extra hard - more so infact as there is the weight of the seat as well as the occupant to restrain. IMHO, this is NOT an easy fix.

Chris

Edit: I type slower than Les.

Mercedes SL's, BMW 8 series, 6 series, I'm sure there's other convertibles and coupes too.

Steve

E46 (2000 on) 3 series BMW convertibles also have them - looking for a set of these myself for a 2 door Range Rover. Appear on e-bay from time to time - lots are electric though which I don't want.

To sound dumb what are spreader plates

wide plates secured below floor to bolt onto and spread the load of the mounting. FYI - LR stopped using spreader plates a while back and now take all seat belt mounting points to the chassis via a plate. I would suspect to get through an MOT you'll have to do the same and extend plate on to a chassis point.

Steve

This is not sounding a good job i was just expecting to unbolt the seats that are inthere now and bolt in some new ones which have the seat belt on already

You can see the point though, about the forces being transferred to the seat mounts in the event of a crash? I don't want to patronise but I woulod rather do that than have you carry out an unsafe inatalation.

Chris

I just fitted the exmoor trim rear seats in the 110. I was rather suprised to see just how small the spreader plates were that came with both the seats and the belts :unsure: .

exmoor7.jpg

the spreader plates from underneath, thats the rear crossmember on the bottom of the pic.

exmoor2.jpg

Jas

I think you need to look at it from the perspective of an accident situation.

Bolts that hold just the seat in will be sufficient to restrain it in the event of an accident, and the seat belt will restrain just you (this is normally achieved by anchoring the seat belt to the 'B' pillar and floor (where there's usually a spreader plate).

With a seat belt/seat combination, the seat fixings would have to be strong enough to restrain the seat and you at the same time.

I would suggest that just taking the seat-only out and using the same mounting for a seat/seat belt arrangement, may a dangerous thing to do as it may not be strong enough in the event of an accident.

I fitted inertia reel belts in place of the webbing that was on catflap, so had to make my own belt mounts.

Not being at all scientific, and unaware of any regulations pertaining to this, I just fitted a BIG plate, with big bolts, and careful welding. Unless you do a spectacularly bad job, I doubt an MOT tester would notice or fail a DIY belt or seat mount.

Having said all that, it may not be that hard to strengthen an existing mounting.

Les. :)

Just as a comparison to Jas' pictures - here are the ones I made for the belt mounts on catflap:-

100mm sq x 3mm plate on the underside of the alloy panel behind the seat, close to the 'B' pillar.

2 x pcs 50mm angle iron welded together.

4 x m8 bolts (should be nyloc nuts)

The single M10 fine bolt and nyloc are correct seat belt mounting bolts.

med_gallery_2_28_573528.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_764376.jpg

med_gallery_2_28_396811.jpg

Les. :)

I can see what you are saying about safety and i wouldnt even consider letting anyone using them if they were not properly fitted. What i was saying was i didnt realise how much goesin to just fitting a seatbelt i just thought that the mountings for the seat would have been enough having never undertaken anything like this before.