Fitting poly-bushes

ejparrott

I need to sort the 88's spring bushes out again, she spat a pair out last week, another pair on the way too.

I've got the flo-flex set for The 109 that I bought when we were having trouble with the steering some time back, 99% of the bushes are the same between the 2, and I'm only going to be changing the spring bushes anyway.

I've done a search for fitting guides and found nothing. I always thought poly-bushes came with a grease to aid fitting, but mine didn't.

Any advice?

Cheers

Really? I thought graphite stuff was normally black, and all the grease I have had with polybushes has been white.... I am tempted to say it is silicon/PTFE grease, but can't be sure.

*edit* It seems Super Pro at least is a Lithium grease! http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/262067-super-pro-bush-lubrication/

hmm...I've got some PTFE spray I think, and WD...and I think Lithium grease

Just been having another quick look and Polybush seem to say to use washing up water or tyre soap, because it dries and the bush goes tight..... Am I right in thinking the bush needs to be tight in the hole but the sleeve not so tight in the bush?

They're FloFlex bushes. Not what I plan on keeping long term, although some people seem to have had them a long time no problems. The plan is the 88 will have a new Galv chassis next year, along with new springs and their associated bushes. As with the welding repair last weekend, only really got to see one more MoT, 2 at a a push.

I've only ever fitted normal OEM bushes before, but I'm on a mission now to make life easier for myself. I've already been told I may have to have an early knee replacement, if that happens then doing things like removing springs to change bushes on the press is going to become more difficult. If I can make it easier, so much the better.

EJ, I think you have a real problem. The grease normally supplied with either rubber or silicon/nylon based suspension bushes is silicon based, mineral grease can degrade some types of rubber. That said the lube is applied to the steel outer ring of the bush and to the inner retaining bolt, it's there only to aid the bush being pressed into the housing ad to reduce the corrosion of the inner bolt, if its not an interference fit they can easily come out :o and that's not good when you're cruising along, so having them pressed in is the only real option - and I'm sorry to hear about your knees - I'll swap you for a dodgy hip.

Poly bushes dont press in ( RRC/D1/ 110/90/130), they generally fall in which is why i wont use them. Plus in our mostly dry climate i have found that dust gets in and chews them out , only place i will use them is in the panhard rod as it gives a more positive feel than rubber and is more resistant to oil (steering box leak more often than not).

They are good for leaf sprung models though and should only require a gentle tap to get them in.

• Like 1

It's the leaf's on the 88 that need doing.

Boydie, slightly puzzled, "That said the lube is applied to the steel outer ring of the bush and to the inner retaining bolt" - There isn't a steel outer ring to the bush, just the inner sleeve??

I have been running polys for many many years in leafs. I always use what's at hand in the garage regarding grease, if they come with out any. Never disintegrated or melted or broke down due to wrong lube.

Never had an issue, and fitting them is a doodle, unlike the originals which took a whole day just to do a front set! (besides the blasphemy to get them out) basically i can replace a front set in an hour now!! without grief.

I use a lot of copper grease on the bolts to avoid the inner sleeve seizing to the bolt (still happens some times)

Been trough many types and makes, blue, orange (one piece) black and now on yellow ones (2 piece) Quality will vary (mainly BP stuff) but since they are cheap and easy to change i just fit what on the local lr shops shelve.

The only place where is still use the original metalastic is at the front chassis.

G

• Like 1

EJ, all the suspension bushes I've ever used have always had an outer metal sleeve - even the urethane ones I used on the rally car. I'd be very concerned if any suspension bush didn't have an outer metal sleeve as they are supposed to have an interference fit, If they don't they can only be relying on a slight degree of compression (as in the bush being a fraction oversize) to retain them.

Most polybushes on a LR don't have an outer metal sleeve, otherwise they couldn't be fitted DIY.

In fact the only LR polybushes that I can think of are the caster correcting one's, but that is clearly a different case.

I'd be pretty surprised if you could get the chassis or spring bushes in a leafer in with a disco bottle jack, but even more so the problem is normally getting them out! I know there are other methods of course....

Radius arms and panhard I can understand OK, they are small bushes, but leaf/chassis bushes are 3" long, therefore require a fair bit more oomph.

But if fitting poly, then they will push in by hand.

To remove the old bush (external metal sleeve type) I first remove the rubber bush and inner sleeve with one of a set of deep (75mm) wood hole saws, the external metal sleeve can then be fairly easily drifted out, in severe cases where it is really stubborn I use a tool grinder to split it first.

Replacement with the new bush is fairly easy with my home made press and a selection of steel pipe sockets purchased over the years for this task with one end "blanked" off with a pipe plug for the jack to operate against, in a few cases I've had to grind down the edge of the socket to match the diameter of the outer sleeve. The only one I had a problem with was the rear "A" frame ball joint, that was a real doosey

Well.

Lets just say, right now I am the worlds biggest hater of Polybushes (not the trade mark brand - legal - I'm just in a bad mood....)

3 hours.

3 Hours David (vulcanbomber) and I wasted this afternoon trying to do one rear 88" spring, and wrecked 2 brand new bolts in the process before we'd even tried to fit the nuts, and I've got a bend in my spring mounts now.

1 further hour, and we'd ripped out the polybushes, fitted a pair of metalastic bushes, got the spring refitted and all the tools put away.

The spring bushes are 1/4" wide than the gap in the chassis mount. How the hell are you supposed to fit them???????? Even after doctoring one side of the mounts with the 2lb persuader, they still wouldn't go in, and one of the poly flanges folded over under the stress.

There's no way on this earth I'm going to be battering the new galv chassis to open out the spring mounts so I can change bushes.

I'm going to the pub.... :rtfm: