Opt. Angle for V8 Engine to sit In Chassis?

SHY 7G

Hi All

I have previously fitted a 3.5 V8 Carb'd engine but have found that the engine 'n' gearbox is sitting at an angle of approx. 4-degrees. The chassis that I am using for my hybrid series rebuild was originally from an Range Rover Vogue TDi MY1993. The engine mounts on the chassis have not been modified at present and I would like to know is

1. With my engine/ gearbox currently sitting at 4-degrees, will it work satisfactory at this angle?

2. Is there an optimum angle, i.e. 0O from the front (flywheel) to the rear (gearbox) when fitted into the chassis frame?

3. With the engine & chassis mounting plates shown is there an alternative engine mount that will allow the engine to be lowered at the front without any need of modification to any of the mounting brackets?

post-11268-0-60768400-1431351301_thumb.jpg

post-11268-0-69571500-1431351340_thumb.jpg

post-11268-0-05808900-1431351396_thumb.jpg

I doubt very much anything will mind being tilted back 4deg, if memory serves some V8's were like that from the factory as the inlet manifolds for (I think) some 4-brl carbs tilt slightly the other way. I could be imagining it though.

The V8 with HIF SU or strombergs , were fitted with those carbs specifically for handling severe angles, as many have found with other carbs , that they get starving and flooding . The V8 in the stage one v8 109 had the crank lined up with the hole in front cross member IIRC

Certainly the carb engines were fitted in cars at an angle as the carb tower is not perpendicular to the crank it leans forwad so it is Vertical when installed in the original car. My std conversion engine plates did the same but the gearbox and tf box was lower at the rear so I remade them to flaten it out and get the prop angles better.

If it is a small height change another option is to put a spacer in the tf box mounts to raise the back. I put penny washers in mine.

I've thought about raising the gearbox / transfer box at the rear end, but i'll have to leave as is because I have put in a custom floor and done away with the standard landy seat box. Lifting the rear end will mean a complete redesign on the drivers side floor as the transfer box will take up a fare part of the floor space if raised.

post-11268-0-08145400-1431643679_thumb.jpg