200tdi into a series

calvin

i am looking to fit a 200tdi into a series(using original gearbox ). one thing that puzzles me is the rad and intercooler. which do i use? do i take the intercooler and rad from the disco, or just the intercooler, if it is just the intercooler where do i mount this and with what rad? i seen a post on another forum which mentioned that they put their intercooler infront of the radiator. how is this done ?( i would like to keep the choping of bodywork to a minimum)

if anyone has any experience of fitting 200tdi into a series i would appreciate some pointers or if you have one fitted to your landy some pictures of the layout in the engine bay would be appreciated

cheers

:blink:

20 tdi mates straight to your gearbox with no adaptor plate, n/s engine mount lines up, o/s has to be fabbed up, easy enough with engine in situ.

the series radiator is well capable of cooling the tdi, which is what i use, i have an intercooler bigger than standard which sits infront of the series rad panel, but i have a defender front end on it to hide it all up, there is room to sit an intercooler infront of the rad but behind the series grill though, it all depends what you want and how good your fabrication is at the end of the day

• 1 month later...
if anyone has any experience of fitting 200tdi into a series i would appreciate some pointers or if you have one fitted to your landy some pictures of the layout in the engine bay would be appreciated

cheers

:blink:

I did this.....easy fab. Disco rad but now with 300 intercooler. Dont have to cut loads either

post-2508-1167344626_thumb.jpg

I have fitted a 2.5TD engine in catflap. I know you're asking about a 200TDi, but there isn't that much difference in what I did.

I decided to fit a 200TDi intercooler to help compensate for the heat stress that this engine suffers from. I did think about putting a different front end on, like Tonk has, but wanted to keep the series bodywork as original as possible. There is enough gap between the front panel and front face of the radiator to accomodate the main body of the intercooler, but the pipes of the intercooler that are part of the casting, make it more that twice the width. Unless you are able to find a different intercooler, or have the ability to modify the 200TDi one, you will have to alter the front panel area. Dunno if you are prepared to do it, but this is how I did it:-

After careful measuring and the decision to fit a leccy push fan, I made a frame out of angle iron scavenged from an old bed frame to mount the fan to the radiator frame itself with blind rivets.

med_gallery_2_119_1246711.jpg

4xM6 nyloc nuts hold the fan to the frame.

med_gallery_2_119_976206.jpg

Alterations to the intercooler that makes it just 85mm wide so that it will fit in the gap between radiator and front grille.(115mm IIRC)

Standard 200TDi intercooler.

med_gallery_2_36_738431.jpg

Pipes cut off flush with the casting.

med_gallery_2_36_354660.jpg

Now 95mm thick.

med_gallery_2_36_6333.jpg

Same size holes in the tank ends

med_gallery_2_36_137759.jpg

Original holes blanked off and sealed with blind rivets and P38 filler.

med_gallery_2_36_559301.jpg

med_gallery_2_36_319329.jpg

I made two pipes to suit what I wanted to do.

med_gallery_2_36_214325.jpg

Attached to the intercooler with M5 bolts tapped into the alloy casing.

med_gallery_2_36_586719.jpg

Finished article.

med_gallery_2_36_788630.jpg

In place, but the pipes have yet to be trimmed.

gallery_2_39_934499.jpg

Same mounting rubbers top and bottom as used when fitted in a disco etc.

med_gallery_2_39_365186.jpg

Finished article (well, except for the wing top and number plate!)

med_gallery_2_114_34561.jpg

Les. :)

I've been considering fitting a Tdi lump into a series one for sometime. The original idea was to use the standard gearbox but people kept saying it just wasn't up to the job, I also didn't know were to fit the intercooler, looking at it now I guess I could fit it horizontially below the headlights but infront of the rad if I mod the inlet pipes to suit.

Has anyone had any probs running a series box on with a Tdi? I considered fitting a box out of a 90 and just welding up the transfer gears to give perm 4WD, and just use FWH on the front axle when on the road but I'm not sure how long the box is and I've only got 86" to play with!

In the end I got a V8 conversion at the right money so I dropped that in, thing is I got a bit carried away with the whole V8 power thing and now it's got 200bhp and it scares me Sh****ess epecially as I'm sitting on the petrol tank! Anyway luckly I blew the box up before I crashed it so I figure now would be a good time to consider a Tdi again.

Whats better for a conversion 200 or 300, and do you have to have a defender manifold to clear the chassis with the turbo or can you just drop a disco lump straight in?

Cheers,

Greg

Mike Stringer runs a 200TDi and Series box, done two Italian Alps trips and two Ireland trips, 2nd gear synchro is now iffy, but it's still going strong after many thousands of miles.

Pretty much a case of how you use the engine will determine the life of your transmission, but since you say you've blown a transmission up already I'll give you a year :D

Mike Stringer runs a 200TDi and Series box, done two Italian Alps trips and two Ireland trips, 2nd gear synchro is now iffy, but it's still going strong after many thousands of miles.

Pretty much a case of how you use the engine will determine the life of your transmission, but since you say you've blown a transmission up already I'll give you a year :D

Err In my defence, I think the gearbox was a little tired before I used it in the V8. I took it out of my series III diesel when the engine developed a slight knocking noise and a bit of an oil leak..........:hysterical:

post-2552-1167509863_thumb.jpg

post-2552-1167509915_thumb.jpg

All hail that man :o He managed to kill a 2.25 diesel :blink::lol:

How did you do it?

Well it was knocking a tad when I got it, I just kinda assumed they all sounded like that never owned a diesel landie before. Strange thing was it suddenly got a awful lot louder, and then there was this bang, followed by a REALLY loud knocking noise and rather a lot of smoke. At this point I figured it was not good news, so I drove straight home as fast as I could (55ish mph) which was a twenty mile trip. It didn't even overheat................. The crankshaft has since done around 6000 miles in another motor, It didn't even get a regrind!!!

:D

Cheers that's brillant,

My only prob I can see is mounting the intercooler as I want to keep the front end original. I reckon I may be able to lie it down in front of the rad, just above the front crossmember but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the front mounted electric fan, I guess it's just a case of suck it and see!

How's it running?

What made you choose a 200Tdi over a 300Tdi?

I think the 300tdi engine mountings are further forward meaning fabricating new engine mountings(i could be completley wrong here). the disco 200tdi will go in with no engine mods because the injection pump is mounted higher but the exhaust is a pain because of the lower mounted turbo. the defender 200tdi avoids the exhaust issues as the turbo is higher mounted but the injection pump is mounter lower meaning modified engine mounting on that side. the front timing belt covers are differant on disco/defender 200tdi,s so if you get a defender high mounted turbo&manifold and try to fit it to the disco it will foul the alternator etc.

hope that helps

will

How's it running?

I bought a really cheap Disco with a remanufactured engine, that was the only reason for the 200 rather than the 300. It runs very well. I'm going to change the gearbox for a LT soon as the extra torque will tear it to bits soon. Jerico has a 300 in his IIA and has done a really nice job on the power steering which I am hoping to copy

Cheers that's brillant,

My only prob I can see is mounting the intercooler as I want to keep the front end original. I reckon I may be able to lie it down in front of the rad, just above the front crossmember but I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the front mounted electric fan, I guess it's just a case of suck it and see!

How's it running?

Well here is mine, defender 200 in the engine bay.

Tdienginebay.jpg

Intercooler is tilted at 45 deg to clear the steering rod and relay and has its own fan which comes on only on boost.

Grem

Well here is mine, defender 200 in the engine bay.

Tdienginebay.jpg

Intercooler is tilted at 45 deg to clear the steering rod and relay and has its own fan which comes on only on boost.

Grem

Mmmh it's an idea.....

The problem I have is with it being a 86" series one I've got an Engine bay which is 2" shorter than a Series 2 or 3 and I've also got the lights in the grill so space is really going to be at a premium

mind you I've managed to cram a V8 in there and still shut the bonnet......