Headlamp Security Ideas

Hi,

After the deal I posted a while back for the cheap Trucklite LED headlamps, I now have a set waiting to be fitted...

However - as they are fairly easy to remove with basic tools, I was thinking of ways that I could make them a bit harder to pinch:

Security screws - not sure how much use they would be - by the time they've got to the headlight mounting screws they've already taken the grille off, and if you used enough brute force you could possibly bend the flimsy retaining ring and remove the light that way. Security screws on the outer surround may work, but it's just plastic so if you were determined you could probably snap it...

Headlamp Guards - this might be a more secure option, but it appears there's loads of different types, from blue box cheapies all the way up to £400 odd! Fitted with security screws they should add a bit of theft protection... To complicate matters I have the larger NAS style indicators / side lights so some of the guards may not fit...

Any other suggestions?

Cheers

Jon

Cut two squares of polycarbonate and fix these over the headlights. Just use ordinary screws & Nyloc nuts on the back.

Find a piece of pipe (15mm copper plumbing pipe works fine). Remove the cable from the bonnet release then cut the tube such that it's a tight fit between where the cable passes through the wing and the bonnet release. Pass the cable through the pipe & re-attach to the release mechanism.

This stops someone from reaching through the grill & pulling on the cable to open the bonnet.

That should make the whole thing pretty secure.

Si

Hi Jon, if you go to any good Not & bolt supplier - or motoring accessory shop - you can buy tamper proof nuts, that require a special socket to do them up and remove them - in the same line as security nuts for alloy wheels.

The only trouble with security fixings (Torx with the centre-pin etc) is that the tools are widely available and cheap to buy, wouldn't stop your average scrote.

I have Nolden LRD headlights on my 90 (the type LR are now fitting) and this was something that concerned me as they are the most expensive headlight you can buy.

The light surrounds etc are all fitted with SS security Torx screws. I then fitted standard LR light-guards but instead of using captive nuts and having them hinge at the bottom I bolted them straight through using SS security Torx fixings but with large diameter washers and multiple nuts on the rear, makes them a pig to fit & remove (the screw doesn't turn and you have to spin the nuts on the rear, not easy when you are using Nylocs) but means that they can't be undone in 10-seconds like normal ones.

Not foolproof but I know I have done all I can.

Agreed you can't stop the determined thief but you have to make an effort.

If someone wants to rip the front-end apart then you aren't going to stop them but with Nolden's costing what they did and the Nakatanenga surrounds not given away with a packet of cornflakes it makes sense to upgrade from the normal fixings of just a few self tappers.

You can liken it to the old chestnut of vehicle security.

Why bother with steering wheel locks, pedal locks, ignition switch shields, upgraded door-locks etc when they MIGHT come along with a low-loader or hiab and just drag / lift it away? Sure, could happen but more likely is that someone will try to defeat your protection which will take them time and make a lot of noise in the process.

I found this:

http://www.offroadelements.com/offroad-elements-anti-theft-headlamp-security-screw-kit/

Does anyone know the size for the headlight panel / lamp mounting screws to see if I can find something similar in the UK?

Ugh :wacko: tri-wing screws, if the driver 'cams' out they are a real pig if the heads are damaged, our Hawk aircraft use similar screws, bain of our lives as engineers.

headlight trim surround screws are number 8 x 1/2 inch item 15 in http://lrcat.com/#31/4/52677

headlight retainer ring screws are http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=stc1486 with adjusting motors doesn't state size in parts info item 6 in http://lrcat.com/#31/4/52868
or
these item 8 in
http://lrcat.com/#31/4/52870 item number 6 http://www.brit-car.co.uk/search.php?xSearch=AB606022L

Agreed you can't stop the determined thief but you have to make an effort.

If someone wants to rip the front-end apart then you aren't going to stop them but with Nolden's costing what they did and the Nakatanenga surrounds not given away with a packet of cornflakes it makes sense to upgrade from the normal fixings of just a few self tappers.

You can liken it to the old chestnut of vehicle security.

Why bother with steering wheel locks, pedal locks, ignition switch shields, upgraded door-locks etc when they MIGHT come along with a low-loader or hiab and just drag / lift it away? Sure, could happen but more likely is that someone will try to defeat your protection which will take them time and make a lot of noise in the process.

if you stick a flat piece of perspex over them its harder to get purchase, I'm certainly not a car thief yet I know that regardless of the screws I could have a set of light guards off in about ten seconds if I didn't care about the damage.