Diesel vs Petrol senders

mike4444244

Hi

Is there any difference in real life use between S3 109 diesel and petrol senders? The petrol one (623097) is currently outof stock, whereas the diesel one (623098) is in stock.

Its just a pick up pipe and a float so cant see that much difference?

Ta

Mike

LR wouldn't have made a change unless they needed to. I'd assume that the electrical side and associated length of float arm would be identical. Diesel is about 10% denser than petrol so probably a different float.

For the float arm to sit at the same angle for the same fuel level, the diesel float would either need to be 10% heavier or a smaller float than the petrol one. So I'd guess that fitting a diesel sender to a petrol tank would make it read low. Whether unacceptably low is anyone's guess.

Well my 88 was built as a diesel but had a petrol engine in it....or was it the other way round...can't remember..but anyway, I've never changed the sender since we had here, so it has been used with both fuel types.

AMB - that would be the case if the float was designed to be JUST positively buoyant, but i'm sure its in fact over-bouyant. It will sit on top whatever type. Possibly different materials, but i would expect fuel resistance to be the same for petrol & diesel. More likely is dave88 suggestion than one has a level switch. (BTW my v8 came with a level switch and light, so i'm not sure that was just the Diesels)

HoSS - as I said "Whether unacceptably low is anyone's guess". If overbouyant as you say, then type of fuel should not make any obvious difference to the float level.

For me the answer lies in the fact that LR found it necessary to have different senders.

The diesel tank will have a return somewhere, but I don't now if it's in the sender or the tank top. Since the sender is definitely different between fuel types for the low fuel light terminal (diesel), then it makes sense for the return line to be there too so that the tank is identical, simplifying production. But who knows with LR?