1993 RRC V8 - Poor Hot Starting

leakkydiff

Hi,

First post on here but a fairly long term Range Rover owner since 2008 (and 110 Hi-Cap since 2014). Went to the LRO show yesterday and around the off road course she was getting a little hot - nothing major and really only due to the long course and waiting about, combined with the rad getting muddy water on it...I don't like water! Got home fine (approx 20 mile journey) and switched her off to unpack the baby and dog - when I came back 20 mins later to put her in the garage she took a bit of cranking to start then misfired for approx 20/30 seconds before it cleared and she then ran fine. She's not done this before and I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Could it be fuel starvation due to evaporation from the heat? It does get hot in the engine bay but she never overheats in normal use and the temp needle is always just under halfway. Rad was replaced about 4 years ago, coolant is up to the right level and thermostat works fine as does the viscous fan.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of her too. Thanks.

Alex

post-108129-0-52981700-1442834537_thumb.jpg

Did you get any water over the dizzy? If you did check the cap for moisture this would give you possibly the issues you describe even though you drove home ok, moisture condenses at the top of the cap and then runs down when you switch the engine off.

Another thing to check is the two sensors on the top of the inlet manifold, check that they are working.

Welcome.

That is a nice looking Range Rover you have there.

It always helps if readers know a little more about what car you have. So, what year (sorry that's in the title doh), manual or auto, petrol or diesel, EFI or carbs, and 2.5/3.5/3.9/4.2 etc.

Then I am sure others will give you a better answer than I could.

Could simply be water running down the wires into the connector - the ECU temperature sensor is a 2-pin, the gauge runs off a 2nd single-wire sensor. Check your injector connectors too, they like to fill with water & rust the pins out, ask me how I know...

Failing that, could be temp sensor, could be ignition amp, they really like to get weak-when-hot with age, gradually getting worse until they're dead :glare:

I have been thinking about your problem too. And at first I thought as Fridge said, the ignition amp breaking down maybe. However I think, again as had already been said, I would go for water getting into the electrics somewhere. Especially as you have the viscous fan still.

Did you blank off your grille before you went into the water, or did it get thrown over the inside of the engine bay?

Thanks guys, I'll check out the dizzy, injector connectors and temp sensor at the weekend. Dunc I didn't block off the grille so a bit of water got chucked about by the fan - but not an excessive amount as I try to avoid it as much as I can. One question which may be stupid - where exactly is the temp sensor located? Cheers

There are some great diagnostic manuals in the Technical Archive for the EFI. Go through those step by step, they tell you what each sensor etc should give. It's tedious but if you go though that and all is ok with the EFI atleast you know your looking for something like an air leak or whatever.