v8 cam shaft upgrade

Carbs are your first issue. Sorry to be blunt.

Swap over to an EFi engine (3.9 / 4.2 if you wish) (don't necessarily need megasquirt) and you'll gain a nice chunk of power.

I reckon you can find a 3.9 for not a lot more than a new crower (or similar) cam.

If you do go down the cam route, remember to change the lifters at the same time.

G

A few things that I've learnt during my v8 ownership. ..

ignition timing. ... ignore the timing marks, advance it til you get pinking (pre ignition detonation) under load, then retard it slightly. .. The timing marks are known to be in accurate.

The carbs need to be clean getting a good fuel supply, balanced and tuned correctly with the right needles....

plug choice is also very important. And ideally genuine cap, rotor arm and leads should be used. .....

Carbs are your first issue. Sorry to be blunt.

G

Zim, I must counter your bluntness ;)

Carbs can be absolutely fine when set up well. I won't argue though that injected engines put out more power.

I put a Stromberg carbed 3.5 in my old 88", and it went like a rocket, and had plenty of potential to do dangerous speeds. That was one good engine. From memory the cam was std 3.9 spec. I rebuild the heads, fitted new rings etc, so it was in good health shall we say.

Now the 3.5 in my 110 was a gutless lump, that had certainly seen better days. It was also the 114bhp Defender spec version of the engine, which again put it at a disadvantage.

So to the OP, I'd say to find out what spec of engine you have. There were many varaints of the 3.5, dependng on its origin.

Looking at the engine number would be a start to determine this, although it may have been rebuilt to a better spec at some point.

And to reiterate was others have said:

Check the timing is set correctly.

Do a compression test.

Get someone that knows carbs (not so many of those these days I'll grant you. Do you know any retired old skool mechanics?) to look them over and check they are correctly balanced.

Yes, you could pick up a cheap 3.9, but there's no guarantee that'll be in any better condition.

I can't disagree with the above, but for the simplicity of an RV8 efi vs the setting up of carbs etc... As well as the added power gain, that is why i wouldn't contemplate running a carb'd v8.

G