"A" Frame (Wishbone) Ball Joint Removal from Fulcrum

Folks,

Changing the A Frame (aka Wishbone) bushes on my 1986 Defender has been a bit of a struggle. The rear Ball Joint joint was proving impossible to shift and I was about to buy a new fulcrum after having tried hammers, an air chisel, heat, WD40 etc.

However, I came across this YouTube video which shows some lateral thinking that enables a press to be used (something I thought impossible, because of the structure of the ball joint - cut off the ends of the flanges!

A matter of minutes and the ball joint was out.

So a real "Hat Tip" to Land Rover Toolbox Videos and I'm posting the link here for all to see if they are in the same predicament!

I've had a look on the Technical Archive and can't find a reference to the A Frame Ball Joint. If I've missed one, I'm sure somebody will say!

That was one of my ball joint fitting tools in use, if any one else wants on let me know.

You can fit them with various sockets or bit of tube but if you split the gaitor doing it you will not be happy!. Also the slots in the side allow bolts to be fitted to allow the joint to be lined up when you start pressing it in and then either tightened down as you press it all the way in in stages or removed and replaced once it is fully home.

I charge £20 each and normally £3 postage (it heavy!) but any one on here I will do post free. Can't send any right now as I am sat in the middle of the north sea which is why I only list them on ebay sporadically, just contact me and I should be able to give any one an estimate on how long it will be till I am able to make or post things.