replacing the pin in a steering arm?

twodoorgaz

Hi folks.

can the pin in a swivel steering arm be replaced?

like this:

land-rover-series-3-steering-arm-1.jpgFRC2081-RHD-LH-STEERING-ARM-DOUBLE.jpg

I ask as I am in need of a two-hole Left Hand Steering arm from a stage 1 v8 (similar to the 4-cyl ones pictured above) - part number FRC1939) and can't find one for sensible money, only direct from Land Rover for £200-ish (I already have the right hand side) - they are different from a 4-cylinder one in the pin to allow clearance for the CV.

I could have the pin from my Right Hand arm copied and (I'm assuming) pressed into a 4cyl arm if this is a standard practice. I just don't know how these things would have been constructed from new. I'd have drawings made for the pin to help others converting to CV.

I suppose the real question is: is this pin a serviceable part? its not shown as a separate item in the parts manual, nor is it mentioned in the green bible but that doesn't mean to say that it can't be replaced.

Many thanks indeed.

When you look at an existing arm, look again and you will probably see there is a cross pin linking the casting to the swivel pin.

This is what I've noticed on 'original' lower 'steering lever and pin' assemblies.

I've never needed or wanted to try and separate them.

I am also only referring to 'standard' swivel pins, not any V8 variation.

HTH