discovery 1 coil overs

hi all, I'm looking to fit coil over suspension to my discovery 1, has anyone ever done this to theirs and what do i need to bare in mind. ? I'm welding in a full cage in the engine bay and the interior .

Is it better mounting the shocks to the cage?

Do they need to be on a certain angle or in place of the originals?

another question iv been wondering, Will the ride be better with twin shocks on each wheel.

the vehicle is fitted with a ls3 engine, and looking for rally style handling, and as much less body roll as possible. I'm also considering lowering the suspension also if this is possible? thoughts?

cheers all

come on we've all got to start learning somewhere guys, I'm looking to build the best handling vehicle i can. both on road and rallying.

So does this mean you have no pics? Or that you haven't got a project rolling any further than just forum posts? Honestly I don't think people would mind either way. But the things you are asking are pretty hard core and advanced modifications and engineering.

If people spend the time and effort researching and constructing a long detailed reply, they kind of like to know how useful it is being and the progress you are making.

I'm sure it's already been said, but if you plan to enter any sort of competitions (which is the only reason you'd want it to handle rally style surfaces, unless you have access to large private areas of land), then you need to check the regs for those events on what is allowed and what isn't and any limitations of design.

As for best handling. Coil overs will not automatically give this, all they normally offer is a compact 1 piece unit that may have an adjustable spring platform to alter ride height.

Coil overs may offer more tuning such as bounce and jounce rebound rates, but you can get this on non coil over suspension as well.

If it is just a "vapour build", i.e. just an idea at present, that's fine. Just let people know and make it more of a discussion than a Q&A on specific parts. As specific parts generally require specific requirements. Which you may not have if it's just an idea. :)

So does this mean you have no pics? Or that you haven't got a project rolling any further than just forum posts? Honestly I don't think people would mind either way. But the things you are asking are pretty hard core and advanced modifications and engineering.

If people spend the time and effort researching and constructing a long detailed reply, they kind of like to know how useful it is being and the progress you are making.

I'm sure it's already been said, but if you plan to enter any sort of competitions (which is the only reason you'd want it to handle rally style surfaces, unless you have access to large private areas of land), then you need to check the regs for those events on what is allowed and what isn't and any limitations of design.

As for best handling. Coil overs will not automatically give this, all they normally offer is a compact 1 piece unit that may have an adjustable spring platform to alter ride height.

Coil overs may offer more tuning such as bounce and jounce rebound rates, but you can get this on non coil over suspension as well.

If it is just a "vapour build", i.e. just an idea at present, that's fine. Just let people know and make it more of a discussion than a Q&A on specific parts. As specific parts generally require specific requirements. Which you may not have if it's just an idea. :)

I could take photos not a problem , but all you will see is a newly rebuild front end of a discovery 200, iv built engines and land rovers before one thing iv never done is build one with modified suspension, id like to broaden what i know and suspension is something id like to advance on, iv done a lot of research on the internet and spoken to a lot of people and I'm getting mixed responses, I'm currently looking at donerre shocks to fit to the vehicle which I'm told are the best on the market for the kind of things I'm asking, its all fully adjustable as well. ideally I'm just after advice on what to consider when fitting it all so i can look into it and make sure I'm doing it right, I'm spending a lot on this vehicle ,i.e. bespoke interior, LS3 v8 etc , as ill never get rid so i want to do it right first time if that makes sense.

Adjustable suspension is only really useful if you need to adjust it often for different terrain, purposes and venues.

If you think you'll just set it up once and never adjust it again, you may want to look at just speccing shocks and springs separately.

Stuff like this is cool:

maxresdefault.jpg

But probably mostly un-needed for most people, most of the time.

There is no reason you can't have an upper and lower mount and use coil overs. But what gain are you after?

Adjustable suspension is only really useful if you need to adjust it often for different terrain, purposes and venues.

If you think you'll just set it up once and never adjust it again, you may want to look at just speccing shocks and springs separately.

Stuff like this is cool:

maxresdefault.jpg

But probably mostly un-needed for most people, most of the time.

There is no reason you can't have an upper and lower mount and use coil overs. But what gain are you after?

i honestly don't mind having to adjust it all, I'm looking to lower the ride height for road driving, something to be able to corner at speed, as less body roll as possible, I'm told the donerre shocks help with this, has anyone ever fit them and tried them?

depends how much wheel travel you want to have,

Lets be fair Jim at Gigglepin had good results with his truck on normal coilsprings & King Bypass shocks
on his new truck he has Fox Coilovers & Bypass shocks

On my current vehicle i have 2.125" coilovers with hydro bumps, On Plan B it will have coilovers & bumps with the ability to run Bypass shocks should i want to play in unlimited class,

• 2 weeks later...

Air suspension wont really have any benefits for what he wants

"I'm looking to lower the ride height for road driving, something to be able to corner at speed, as less body roll as possible"

There isn't really anything that applies to what he wants but having the ability to change between low/stiff suspension for road use then raise the suspension for offroad at the push of a switch is surely close with far less hassle for a mixed use vehicle. Either using components from a P38/RRC setup or a defender designed setup.

I wouldn't suggest this for use as a pure offroad vehicle in competition use but to me that doesn't seem to be what he's building...