A sign of things to come?

Les Henson

Roger-

I believe the basic blocks are the same, though not 100% sure if there may be minor differences.

Cylinder heads and sump pans vary in some models - MGF VVC is an example. Timing chest, tensioners, water pump, and oil filter and pump always seem to be the same to me as well.

Les. :)

Surely by changing the head gasket now disater can be averted? The damage is done by the engine overheating once all coolant is lost isn't it? I changed the HG on sandbag's Rover after an incompetent AA man in Swindon caused a coolant loss which occasioned a HG failure. It has been OK for the last 20k ood.

Chris

What might be useful in the general 'K Series' context, is that Land Rover introduced uprated parts after the early experiences with the Freelander, AND kept the prices low.

Thus your LR Dealer will sell you Through Bolts (replace every time) for about £1.50 each, whereas Unipart, and the local Motor Factors, need £5 each before releasing them.

LR have an uprated headgasket at a reasonable price, although I forget what. Sized to fit the 1.8, it will also suit the 1.4. They do another essential, the updated thermostat with housing, for about £8.00. The other major part is the lower casting that the through bolts thread into. Essential with the new gasket, much stiffer (thus stiffening the whole engine), and about £29.00.

My friend found all this out when overhauling his son's Rover 200, and it saved him a packet, obviously, and upgraded the engine (although, being a 200, he didn't use the Freelander Thermostat housing).

HTH

I don't know much about these engines but I was speaking a to friend who rallies an MG ZR about these problems and their engine builder believed all these problems were due to the poor plastic head locating dowls used as standard on these engines. When the engine gets warm, the dowls soften and allow the head to move resulting in a head gasket failier. The solution was to fit metal dowls. The same friend also has one of the earliest Lotus Elises from new (and its been driven very much as intended, regularly) and has had the dowel mods done. He's had no issues with cooling ever.

I don't know much about these engines but I was speaking a to friend who rallies an MG ZR about these problems and their engine builder believed all these problems were due to the poor plastic head locating dowls used as standard on these engines. When the engine gets warm, the dowls soften and allow the head to move resulting in a head gasket failier. The solution was to fit metal dowls. The same friend also has one of the earliest Lotus Elises from new (and its been driven very much as intended, regularly) and has had the dowel mods done. He's had no issues with cooling ever.

Land Rover changed from metal to plastic dowels a while ago, and they come as part of the kit that David has mentioned above.... nothing new ;)

Different engine applications see different problems, and some are unique to the Freeloader... but then a few of them also occur on Rovers (inc. MGF) and Lotus Elises.

I know that with the new head gaskets (and all the other new bits) we have been unable to break the test cars at work... and I've tried ;):ph34r:

Ian

Land Rover changed from metal to plastic dowels a while ago, and they come as part of the kit that David has mentioned above.... nothing new ;)

Different engine applications see different problems, and some are unique to the Freeloader... but then a few of them also occur on Rovers (inc. MGF) and Lotus Elises.

I know that with the new head gaskets (and all the other new bits) we have been unable to break the test cars at work... and I've tried ;):ph34r:

Ian

Cheers Ian, as I said, I don't really know these engines so I wasn't sure if LR were now suppling metal dowels.

Guest diesel_jim

Don't some early Td5's come with the plastic dowels as well?

in one of this months LRO comic they show how to change the HG on a Td5, and state that the plastic dowels (but they're not weak y'see...., as LR spent millions on them developing so why on earth would someone want to change the LR parts.... :rolleyes: ) should be changed for metal ones.

Even with the metal dowels the head gaskets still go! Mine did........

THE fix seems to be to use the LR headgasket and ladder frame, and make sure it has metal dowels.

The head bolts can be re-used - there is a measurement given in the workshop manual that dictates whether or not they are re-useable.

The other one that the manual doesnt tell you, is that the head bolts torque up in 3 stages. The first stage is 15ft/lbs, then 180degress, then 180 degrees again. The tip is to torque all the head bolt sto 15 ft/lbs per the first stage, but then go round them all in order again, and you'll get an exctra couple of turns on the innermost ones as the head settles. Then once all are torqed and checked to 15ftlbs proceed per the manual.

Jon