Comedy on the auction site

Shackleton

Did anyone see the RRC fly window rubber seals going on ebay last week? Someone did (and I'm not going to sugar coat it here) because a gang of idiots bid them up to £375. Pardon my French acronyms but ffs why!? It was obvious by the wording of the original item description that more would be available so why lose all reason. Now the person [i assume] to be the same vendor is selling them "buy it now" only at £375. I don't begrudge anyone making their mark up, and I don't mind a healthy percentage especially when it's something like this that's a real treat to bring back, but this is just taking the mickey. At £100 a pair everyone would be winning big.

Disgusting, ridiculous, and I hope someone else with the means to manufacture them is already working on bringing some decency back to the market. In fact I'm going to look into it myself. Any steers or suggestions welcome.

George

That vendor seem to have a lot of 'healthily priced' items. Many appear to be New Old Stock, but otherwise generally unobtainable.

This is just the start of this kind of mercenary behaviour I suspect.

I know Famous Four have been tooling up to make various parts for classics, including currently unobtainable rubber seals for front windows, so they may well have these on their radar.

Land Rover are also starting to re-produce items under the new "heritage" scheme - http://www.landrover.co.uk/above-and-beyond/news/land-rover-heritage.html which may or not may not include these sorts of rubber seal. They will be producing body panels and repair panels similar to those enjoyed by the MG and Mini community, apparently.

They won't be cornering the market for long - I hope it's not a wind up, but there is a press release floating around facebook that JLR is now starting a Heritage parts supply, akin to the Jaguar one,to support Series 1-3, Defender and RRC using original tooling and production methods, including trim and panels. Maybe that's their new plan for Defender; CKD for the enthusiast as a kit car!

Anyway, if someone wants to start making RRC rubber parts, all of the window seals, especially those around the four door rear quarter windows, would be welcome!

Edit: I evidently failed to read Task's post!

Anyway, if someone wants to start making RRC rubber parts, all of the window seals, especially those around the four door rear quarter windows, would be welcome!

You can buy those seals from quite a few suppliers but the price isn't very welcoming...

part number DA6367

• Like 1

Still more rubber seal for £105 less than the front qtr's.

thats great news about the Heritage scheme lads, and doesn't it make sense. I have a classic Mini and an old type 2 bus and the parts availability for both is outstanding. There are plenty of companies producing reproduction parts, and being sustained by the enthusiast market, LR should be no different. :i-m_so_happy:

Still more rubber seal for £105 less than the front qtr's.

thats great news about the Heritage scheme lads, and doesn't it make sense. I have a classic Mini and an old type 2 bus and the parts availability for both is outstanding. There are plenty of companies producing reproduction parts, and being sustained by the enthusiast market, LR should be no different. :i-m_so_happy:

I recently restored/converted an MGB GT V8 and the off-the-shelf parts availability was outstanding. I could buy all body panels, rubber and lights cheaply and from a selection of suppliers. Modification was easy with either reporduction factory parts like engine mounts or with after market items such as exhaust. If I had wanted to I could have purchased an entire bodyshell complete with doors/bonnet/boot, I'd have needed deep pockets though!

Any photos of the bus and mini?

Sure! The Mini is a Paul Smith LE (1998 only) that I've had since '03 iirc. There were only 1800 made of which 300 were kept for the UK market so I've kept it largely standard save for adjustable suspension and more efficient breathing. Having had a few Mini's I still get a kick out of knowing it has multi point fuel injection, side impact bars and an airbag. Dead weight of you ask me :)

The bus is actually a panel which is a little less common these days. It was originally a Deutsche Post van. It lives in Greece where I tinker at it when I'm there. I got it in '08 having found it under a tree. I drove it home. Life got in the way in the intervening years and it got into a very sorry state - some kids used it as target practice with an air rifle, and someone in a truck deliberately drove into it, hence the damage to the front panel. The photo is as of September when I got a rotisserie type thing finished just before I left, its over completely on it's side now. Next trip I'll start eliminating a few holes and the rebuild will get going.

Edit: you're going to have to show us the MG now Task :)

post-1811-0-37424000-1453915456_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-77787600-1453915483_thumb.jpg

Very nice, bet the mini is good fun?

That bus look sounds like you've got your work cut out for you! Such a shame it was vandalised,should be a rewarding project, my first car journey was in a VW camper when picked up from the hospital after being born!

A rotisserie is a very useful tool, built one for the MGB and attached it to some heavy duty castors so I could work inside and outside the garage;

DSCN0716.JPG

Which now looks like this

DSCN2818.JPG

DSCN2811.JPG

Building that is partly to blame for me not having touched the In Vogue yet!

• Like 1

Yep that looks like you did a top job. The rear arches look like they were a headache. Funny how different the overall shape looks without the body panels too. Loving your rotisserie, it's a proper one, mine just rolls a little past 90º either direction. have wheels on it too though :)

The Mini is fun, they all are. I think if everyone learned to drive in one there'd be a lot more solid drivers out there, and certainly with more mechanical sympathy.