R380 gearbox fitting.

Evening chaps.

I just replaced my clutch with a Vaelo H/D unit,new rear oil seal & bronze bush.

I have the gearbox on the engine with 3 of the studs at the top on by a few threads,but can't get the bell housing to close up at the bottom enough to get the a nut on the studs.It seems as if the shaft isn't lining up with the hole in the crank.

Iv'e tried turning the crank with a spanner as i'm tightening the bolts,(I have used some longer ones at the bottom to try to pull the thing together)to get the splines to line up.But no joy.

Is there any tips you guys can offer to get it to go together.

Cheers

Marc

If you turn the crank with the gearbox in neutral you'll just turn the input shaft as well. In order to stop the input shaft rotating put the box in gear, or you could try turningthe ooutput shaft on the box.. in difflock if the transfer box is on it....

Thanks discoron

I'll try that tomorrow.

Marc

This happened to me. Perseverance for 1.5 hours got there in the end*. You just have to keep trying different angles and wiggling it around. I believe the bush compressed slightly after being fitted into the crankshaft, as the alignment tool wouldn't fit smoothly afterwards.

*Assuming it is aligned correctly.

It needs to go on straight.

If you try to get bolts in at the top like you've done, the assembly ends up misaligned (as the tops pulled in and the bottoms open), and they wont slide together. The clearances are so tight it all needs to slide in straight.

The other thing that can happen is you can burr the edges of the teeth on the clutch drive plate as your mashing it against the input shaft at the wrong angle.

It needs to go on straight.

If you try to get bolts in at the top like you've done, the assembly ends up misaligned (as the tops pulled in and the bottoms open), and they wont slide together. The clearances are so tight it all needs to slide in straight.

The other thing that can happen is you can burr the edges of the teeth on the clutch drive plate as your mashing it against the input shaft at the wrong angle.

Aragorn,you were dead right,I had burred the teeth on the drive plate.

Well after 3 hours of pushing pulling & swearing,my new clutch is in. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions. icon_thumbs.gif

BUT......I looked in the box that had the clutch fork in it & found a little plastic clip.The square thing in this link.

http://www.johncraddockltd.co.uk/land-rove...-bush.html

Can anyone tell me where it go's.

I hope I don't have to strip it all down again to put it in.

Thanks

Marc

It holds the release bearing against the fork, its just an assembly aid, so as long as the release bearing has stayed put and is all sitting properly against the clutch and fork, you dont need it.

It's all gone together & bolted up.How will I know if the bearing has stayed in position against the clutch & fork?

At what point can I try it????

I still need to put the slave cylinder back in then all the electrical conections & breathers.

Thanks

Marc

Plumb the clutch in and bleed it, then make sure it works (i.e. releases and re-engages) before putting the floors etc. back in.

Why will it need bleeding?

I have only unbolted the slave cylinder from the bell housing & tucked it up out of the way whilst changing the clutch.

Thanks

Marc