Rattler and son 1971 S11a swb Restoration

Cornish Rattler

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:16 AM, Arjan said:

Well....

Tell us then..

The 90 is more or less finished now just waiting for new matting to arrive for the rear tub floor and front floor plates then its done and ready for selling then from next weekend I will re-start work on the 2a starting with re-work removing all the BP stuff we fitted before we decided on selling the 90 and keeping the 2a so everything will be replaced with Bearmach or equivalent from now on :)

Finally got the 2a back into the garage yesterday as we had a couple of niggles with the 90 in the week stopping us getting the 2a moved in the week so tomorrow I can start removing the engine to replace the BP oil seals for Bearmach or Gen ones, remove the new std leaf springs and fit new Para's once I get them but until then I can concentrate on the engine as I had left it with the head off with the block face oiled and covered aswell as having a tarp covering the whole thing whilst being stud out in the garden for the past few months, I have checked the engine block and everything is as I had left it so no worries there so I can carry on building the engine ready for refitting once the new Para's are on :D

Well the engine's out, the springs are off and the chassis chocked up on the axles temporary so I can move it in one piece as I am off in a couple of weeks and need to put some extra shelving up in the garage so I will need to move it plus I want to get the oil seals replaced ready for when I get the new Para's

2011-08-24 05.54.59.jpg

2011-08-24 05.55.12.jpg

2011-08-24 05.55.31.jpg

2011-08-24 05.55.45.jpg

2011-08-24 05.55.58.jpg

• Like 1

Just put an order in for a set of GME front parabolic springs, an Elring head gasket set inc HG and front and rear oil seals, I will order the rear springs next pay day as I want the front end firmly on the ground so I can refit the engine once the oil seals are done ( replacing new BP seals with Bearmach seals ) then I can fit the head gasket and everything else with the engine in as its safer torqueing the head down than with the engine on the bench :D

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, Snagger said:

Nice to see progress.  Any plant to paint the chassis?  It might make it less attractive to thieves, especially if you do a rust-effect paint job! ;)

Great idea with the rust effect but I painted the last one I had with an old galv chassis in matt black which looked ok but I always liked the faded galv look so think I will stay with the galv look chassis but buy more security for it :)

Very nice !!

Having moved house & countries too many times over the last 30 years, we seem to have lost a lot of pics (analog) of the various builds we did... Looking at this project I really look forward finishing the 88" 200 Tdi conversion.. Once finished, I'll put up pics.

Please, please keep them coming !!

30 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Very nice !!

Having moved house & countries too many times over the last 30 years, we seem to have lost a lot of pics (analog) of the various builds we did... Looking at this project I really look forward finishing the 88" 200 Tdi conversion.. Once finished, I'll put up pics.

Please, please keep them coming !!

Nice one and yes I will as regards the pic's :D

Off this week so been busy working on the 2a, replaced the front springs with new Parabolic springs, replaced the engine oil seals as I had replaced them with BP ones before we decided we was keeping the 2a and have now replaced them with Bearmach ones instead, re-fitted the bottom end of the engine to the chassis and gearbox as it was just easier to fit and torque the head down this way than struggle with it on the bench then built the head up afterwards, just got a few other bit's n bob's to fit like flexi brake pipes, bump stop's and stuff that I have had laying around since buying them earlier this year :D

Will post pic's later :D

I managed to sell my new old std springs I took off the 2a a couple of weeks ago yesterday to a member of another forum so hoping to go to the new billing show ( Kelmarsh ) I think its called so I will try and get some rear Paras from there plus some other bit's n bob's I need for the 2a :)

• 3 weeks later...

Result, we have sold the 90 as we put it back on ebay for the third time and a guy came down today and made a cash offer vary close to our reserve and drove it away obviously once the money was transferred over, so the 2a is officially mine :D its a shame the 90 had to go as we had spent a lot of time and money on it but now I can spent more money and time on the 2a now instead but the 90 will be sadly missed :D but :( at the same time.