300tdi Turbo Allisport kit

I have bought and fitted the Allisport VNT kit, and thought I would just pass on my experience in case it's of interest. I think it's not hard to fit yourself, with the exception of having yo have a suitable spanner for the awkward manifold nut in the centre. I'm not trying to comment on how well it works. With the turbo itself comes:

• Drain adaptor for the turbo, inc bolts and gasket (gasket was missiing initially on mine)
  • Silicon drain hose and stainless clips
  • Drain adaptor for the block
  • Banjo bolt and copper washers for the oil feed
  • Studs and nuts for the exhaust flange
  • Generic fitting instructions

Apart from the kit itself you will need:

• A manifold gasket
  • A turbo exhaust gasket
  • An EGR gasket (and if you wish blanking plate and bolts, or reuse your old ones)
  • Possibly a turbo oil feed pipe
  • New oil, filter and sump plug washer
  • Exhaust manifold 'horns' if yours aren't reusable
  • Possibly a turbo oil drain gasket (I had to ask for them to be supplied - it may be a mistake they weren't)

You need to drain the old oil and change the filter as per an oil change, and refill with new oil. Disconnect the intercooler connection, air cleaner hose, and boost pipe. Disconnect the oil hose from the turbo, and the drain hose from the block.Disconnect the exhaust flange. Remove the inlet manifold and the old turbo. Once the old turbo and manifolds are removed, you need to change the turbo oil drain adaptor in the block for the one supplied in the kit, as the drain is now a silicon hose. The drain adaptor on the turbo has a heat shield for the exhaust side, and the hose is a very tight fit on it, I had to ease the shield away from the hose socket slightly before fitting the hose and the securing clip, and the clip has to be fitted with the clamp part away from the shield. The drain adaptor should be fitted to the turbo only with a gasket - no silicon seal or similar.

The exhaust horns are a very tight fit, both to remove and to fit, and it is worth carefully aligned them before trying to fit the assembly to the head as the turbo seems heavier, and holding it up with one hand can get tedious. I needed one new horn, and bought a Bearmach one, however I had to polish the end a little with emery before I could get it to go into the turbo.

Be warned the nut under the manifold in the centre is even harder to get at than it used to be. I just managed it with a 3/8 drive socket on a long wobble bar, having loosened the VNT actuator to allow the bar to pass through beside its linkage. I think trying to do it with a ring or flat spanner or 1/2 socket is near impossible. The nuts should be tightened to 45Nm The inlet manifold can be refitted at the same time, nuts & bolts 25Nm . The exhaust flange is supplied with new studs and nuts but no gasket, and can be attached to the exhaust once the turbo has been mounted (50Nm).

The oil supply hose has to be cleaned out thoroughly - I unscrewed it from the block and used an aerosol can of carb cleaner and blasted it through,no carbon emerged and it looked spotless, but if in doubt the hose should be replaced. The hose is then refitted to the block. Turbo Technics (who make the kit) then instruct the engine should be cranked on the starter (disconnect the stop solenoid) until about 300ml of oil has been pumped through the hose into a jar. The oil will initially be dirty as it will be what is left in the engine but will eventually emerge clean.The turbo is then primed with fresh oil in the oil feed hole, and the feed hose fitted using the new banjo bolt and copper washers. I had to angle the connection slightly towards the inlet side to avoid the hose touching the turbine housing, and held it there with a large screwdriver while the banjo bolt was tightened otherwise it tends to turn . The engine is then cranked again until clean oil emerges from the drain hose, and the drain can then be connected to the block adaptor and secured with a clip. Only then you can connect the intercooler, air filter, boost pipe and stop solenoid and you are good to go. Top up the oil once the engine has been run.

The attachment of the oil drainP1040672.jpg

The tightening of the mounting nutsP1040676.jpg

P1040675.jpg

Tightening the oil supply hose P1040678.jpg

Almost fitted P1040679.jpg

Always interested in a VNT set up but had always dismissed Allisport (and all things bright) due to their astro prices.

Even more impressed when someone takes the effort to provide such a thoroughly good progress report with such clear pictures. I would have been so concerned about doing the job in had that I would have forgotten the report!

Thank you for a good post - Will follow with great interest. :)

I know they aren't cheap, but I did need a new turbo anyway, plus it is fully sorted and fitted relatively easily so I suppose it depends on how you value your time. At the same time as it was fitted I fitted a full width intercooler, and I have an auber EGT gauge still to fit so it is due to have some playing with the fuel pump, but the weather hasn't been condusive to that yet. I'm not after massive power (OK I admit I wouldn't object to it if it happens) , but really would like a better spread of torque. So, comparing it with a knackered standard turbo, there is a marked improvement, the engine seems much smoother and more flexible and less laggy and much less smoky but not much more powerful,. Once it can have more fuel I imagine it'll improve further esp power. However I have an already tweaked standard turbo 110, (this is in the 90) and it doesn't feel any quicker than that (yet). I have a kit for the 110 so that will be a better comparison. I think regarding time to fit, it would only be a few hours even taking your time, unless you encounter a huge problem. I had had the engine out anyway, which Is why some of the other stuff is disconnected.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for a great post I used this and installed mine this weekend. can I ask where you ended up installing your egt gauge? I had mine installed in the egr blank off plate previously and now need to figure out where to install as this option doesn't seem to exist with the VNT setup.

Cheers,

Brian

I haven't done the egt gauge yet. I think it'll have to be in the EGR plate as I don't want to drill the main casting but the boss will need welding in at a crazy angle, I was thinking of mocking it up first with thin plywood, putty and a knitting needle or something similar, then measuring that once it was a reasonable fit.

I actually installed mine yesterday - went to drill a small hole inside the EGR cavity (to the left looking in not the right) and literally the wall is only a ~1mm thick - bit went through easily. started it up after and all seems to work.

I wanted to use that spot as well as my EGT probe was installed there previously and didn't want to have to drill and tap a new hole and then have to get a shorter probe.

Was worried about shavings and such but took it for a spin last night and it seems to be working fine.

I got a plate and probe from McNally electronics that comes pre-drilled and then just bent the probe upwards to work.

Cheers,

Brian

• 3 weeks later...

the full width allisport intercooler i put on my 300tdi 110 last summer added 30% to the power and increased acceleration very noticeably. If I drive at the old speed, as I used to have to, the MPG is higher. But now I can accelerate too easily and drive quicker - and the mpg is as it was before the upgrade (29.5 mpg round town).

the full width allisport intercooler i put on my 300tdi 110 last summer added 30% to the power and increased acceleration very noticeably. If I drive at the old speed, as I used to have to, the MPG is higher. But now I can accelerate too easily and drive quicker - and the mpg is as it was before the upgrade (29.5 mpg round town).

30% according to the fitting instructions?