ChrisH

Hi

Just getting back into landrovers after a few years away from the sport I want to get back into having a 4x4 capable for doing some off roading also to use to get to a Stage to marshall events. I have my eye a 52 plate Freelander 1 1.8 Petrol, 5 door at a good Price.

i was looking at a 90 but then the £ signs just kept rolling up. I don't really have much to tinker with the project. But have a mate that has all the tools..

I wonder how much cider this will need???? :blink:

So what are people's views on how good these cars are off road. what adaptations are needed to make the car more useful off road? suspension kits, tyres,

Any help would be appreciated.

kind regards

Chris

The answer is varied tbh.

Personally I like the Freelanders. And they are far better off road than many will give them credit for. You do NEED one with traction control though. On things like wet grass, sand or snow. They can be supremely capable. And arguably better than a Defender.

But they do have some major drawbacks. Relatively poor ground clearance, lack of suspension articulation and large over hangs. And of course no low range. On rutted, rocky or more severe terrain these limitations will show themself. Grounding and damaging the underside and bumpers can be easy on terrain where a standard Series 3 will simply trundle through. The weak clutch for manual cars means controlling low speed can be a challenge too.

Overall I think they are good vehicles. A few niggles, but no worse than most cars. The 1.8 K Series is a peach of an engine and suits the Freelander very well. But expect to do at least one head gasket failure. But fixed correctly it really shouldn't be a major issue.

If you think you'll do a lot of off roading, then an auto will help with the low speed control. But I think that will limit you to a KV6 or TD4.

For off roading you'd more than likely be better off with a Disco 1 or 2 or even a Jeep Cherokee. Remember a Discovery is essentially the same as a Defender under the body.

As a for instance. This looks fairly tame in a Defender. Which you can fairly easy drive round this course without damage, again and again.

A Standard Freelander would be unlikely to make it round at all. I know as I've tried driving two of them on this terrain. They are just too low, lift wheels off the ground. And will stab the bumpers into the ground. You also have to drive them very aggressively and a lot faster, which just increases the risk of an accident (or getting it wrong) and ultimately more damaging to the vehicle.

A lifted Freelander on slightly bigger tyres might be better as it'll have better ground clearance. But the suspension won't flex any better, so it'll still lift wheels in the air. And larger tyres will make the crawl speed even worse.

Don't do it ,they are rubbish ,simple as that .Your money would be better spent on finding the best 200/300 TDI Disco you can ,brilliant off-road ,relatively cheap to run and loads of space inside ,try not to get a sunroof model ,they leak ,and check for rot in the sills ,inner wings ,rear cross member etc ,I'm making em sound bad but take your time looking ,there are loads of em ,and you will find a good un, just don't ,whatever you do ,buy a Freeloader .

Well I must have bought the only unreliable, badly made Freeloader Landrover ever produced ,oh yeah and all the ones I have worked on ,replacing transmissions, rear diff mounts ,head gaskets ,clutches ,rear window motors ,rear window seals etc etc .Nowt wrong with a difference of opinion ,my opinion is they are carp ,and yes that is from (a lot) of experience.

Well I must have bought the only unreliable, badly made Freeloader Landrover ever produced ,oh yeah and all the ones I have worked on ,replacing transmissions, rear diff mounts ,head gaskets ,clutches ,rear window motors ,rear window seals etc etc .Nowt wrong with a difference of opinion ,my opinion is they are carp ,and yes that is from (a lot) of experience.

and I guess Defenders never need anything at all :hysterical::rofl:

Or range rover's ,or series ,but none of them have a transmission part that costs £400 and should be regarded as a service item ! Someone asks for advice ,different forum users give different advice ,the asker then decides which advice,if any to take ,simple ,my advice is don't buy one .

I know that's what I have been looking at 90'stha would minimum need a rear cross member year most would need a chassis but then yes they may hold their value. But if your not mechanical mined it daunting to do that. Along with a deep pocket.

Been down the discovery td5 route that spent even week in the Garage.

I'm not going to do hard core I let others with deeper pockets than me.

This question was a ask how I could improve the freelander offroad. Not how it runs or sunroofs (is doesn't have one)

It a runner just got a mot, looks clean and under £1800 looks a right bargin.

You can fit marginally larger tyres (10% or so), and have read about a 40mm lift, which is more involved than a solid axle land rover, but all bolt on stuff.

Then you may want to look at better skid plates.

Drive it till it breaks, fix it, drive it :)

You can fit marginally larger tyres (10% or so), and have read about a 40mm lift, which is more involved than a solid axle land rover, but all bolt on stuff.

Then you may want to look at better skid plates.

Drive it till it breaks, fix it, drive it :)

a freelander will be anything but a cheap offroader, you be better off buting a discovery thats already been to a few pay and plays( so already has mud tyres and beaten to hell on the bodywork) and drive it til you kill it. then youll know what you need and can go buy what will work for you

Just returning to this thread, if its just an off roader id buy the cheapest disco or raingie with 12months test and knackered bodywork that runs reasonably and have some fun for a year for about £750? after that break it sell it scrap it get a quote to mot it again and see how you go.

im not sure how nice a thing you want, you keep even do it with a 500 freelander to dip your toe in so to speak.

will.

Thanks Bowie that sounds great thanks for the positive Reply. Yes I'm looking and lift kits at moment. I'm likely only to be going off about once a month so I'm not want to spend much.

I was positive, just realistic.

Personally I'd try it and see before spending any money on lift kits.

If it's muddy/slippery, then road tyres will be fairly limited.