hydro assist steering land rover Td5

Ced

Hy guy's,

I'am getting interested in a hydro assist steering on my 2003 D-90 Td5.

So, what do you recommend ??

Full hydro or an extra assist ont the original power steering ??

For this time I run on 35, may be in future 36 or 37............

Any tips, links, prives etc.

Forsure,mention what not to buy !!!

What are your opinions.

Thanks, guy's,

Ced

Jez has done full hydro. Having driven his vehicle it was very nice (light but does give feedback, self centres well and works with the engine off) although I understand its a slight grey area as far as MOTs go.

Paul Wightman and Bathtub Pete are the 2 members I know of on here who have hydro assist.

It's something I've been vaugely interested in but I've done no major reseach into it yet.

full hydro is MOT complient, the grey area is construction and use regulations.

not a prob for Ced as he's a Belgie (hello A Bar welcome to the Forum)

Ram assist is a piece of cake, just get the right pump for the job, Disco 2 box is the strongest out of the crate so a good candidate for ram assist. needs two holes to be drilled and tapped in the PAS box to supply the assisting ram. Use good quality hoses (Parker no skive 2 wire is plenty), ensure the routing minimises any chaffing, change pipes as a matter of routine (hydro pipework has a lifespan of 7 years although for steering I would advise annual pipe renewel)

Full hydro will not break come what may, if you want it theres only one place worth talking to and thats "Squeeky" Shaun Stapely at Performance Offroad in Alabama (I can PM you his number if you need it). Ram assist complies with road going legislation in terms of maintaining a mechanical linkage throughout although you will be in the same boat as a full hydro rig in the event of an accident as the steering will have been modified from the time the vehicle received its CE ticket. As long as you are aware of these things then you go into it with your eyes open. Ram assist is in no way as strong as full hydro but with tyres your size you shouldnt have any strength issues.

Run ATF in the PAS system and uprate to the old Rangie "Bean Tin" fluid reservoir (higher capacity and greater cooling capability), the pump of choice is a ZF74, you need to ensure that with the ram you choose to use your lock to lock cycle time is well under 3 seconds. Ensure whoever does your welding is coded (or local equivilant) substandard welds on components of this nature just arent funny.

HTH a bit :)

Spoke to the man at the Dept for Transport only last week.

The killer for full hydro is in the Construction adn Use regs where it states that there must be a link of a metallic material or something else with the same mechanical properties connecting from steering wheel to wheel.

Even if you get through an MOT with full hydro the vehicle is not actually road legal and your insurance etc is therefore void.

FB

:(

Thank you for clearing that up Filthy boy

I had been wondering whjat the LAW had to say on this matter.

Would still love full hydro though..... B)

Ced, why not register the truck in the UK..?

Your only an hour or two away, only got to M.O.T the vehicle once a year... :D

Just a thought :)

Jim :)

interesting..

think you need to look at agricultural regs Filthy, hence the "grey area" comment about full hydro

Ram assist so its a step forward for extreme UK spec challenge trucks so for 99% its got to be good.

Regardless of full hydro or ram assist in order to remain "insurance proof" in the event of an component failure the intsall needs to be of a very high standard and having seen some of the fab being offered out for cash I'd be wary; there as a lot of "professionally prepared" vehicles running around that would fail even a rudementary engineering assessment.

Hydrid hydro would tick all the local legislation boxes and retain the strength of full, whats the learned opinions on the pros and cons of that setup?

Must be something you said Jez - it's gone quiet :unsure:

Just for fun: Hands up everyone who's driven a proper full-hydro setup?

(My hand is up having played with Petal on a few occasions)

I have driven a lot of full hydro plant and machinery, some with four wheel steer and switchable crab steer.

Very entertaining!

Regards,

Diff

there must be a link of a metallic material or something else with the same mechanical properties connecting from steering wheel to wheel.

Mercury? Hydraulic fluid? How do they compare mechanically? :P So much room for interpretation in government regs, isn't there?

Chris

Must be something you said Jez - it's gone quiet :unsure:

Just for fun: Hands up everyone who's driven a proper full-hydro setup?

(My hand is up having played with Petal on a few occasions)

Yep, pottered arround in Petal and was impressed. I've tried a few unusual setups and I was suprsied by the feedback and pecision Jez's setup had.