300TDI into 200TDI

I'm aware of the engine mount issues and the clutch housing issue when fitting a 300TDI to a 200TDI vehicle. Is it possible to keep the 200TDI exhaust/intake manifolds, turbo, and downpipe when making the swap? Anyone done it?

The 300s are enough cheaper to really make it worthwhile as I end up having to ship every engine over here, and searching out good deals isn't really fun from here.

Thanks.

The down pipe is very different, but since people here often use 300 manifolds and turbos to fit Discovery 200s in Series LRs, the Defender200 manifolds and turbo must also fit the 300. The trouble will be the left engine mount, which is where the vertical part of the down pipe runs. It might be possible to fit 200 mountings tot he block (so that you don't need to alter the chassis either), but that would probably take some fabrication. I have seen commercially sold conversion mounts that get around the same issue with the oil filter on the rhs.

I think you're better off getting the existing engine reworked with a crank grind, rebore and oversize shells and pistons.

The trouble will be the left engine mount, which is where the vertical part of the down pipe runs.

To be fair - if using two 45 degree bends in place of the single 90 degree bend is a 'trouble' then an engine swap is probably beyond the skills required.

When I had my chassis built we put bolt-on engine mounts in place, so that isn't an issue at all. Easy to fab a set in an afternoon to get it in... not worried about that. What I want to make sure is that the existing stainless exhaust system can be used, as well as VNT, etc.

the 300 downpipe 'is' dead in line with the 4cyl engine mount so I woukd say that ( edit) to use a 300 manifold with your existing exhaust would need modification, I can drop a photo this weekend if it helps at all.

the 300 downpipe 'is' dead in line with the 4cyl engine mount so I woukd say that ( edit) to use a 300 manifold with your existing exhaust would need modification, I can drop a photo this weekend if it helps at all.

Define dead in line. I've 'adjusted' my mounts only very slightly just to give added clearance. I've straightened the engine mount by cutting out a sliver from the section that mounts to the rubber, I've adjusted the exhaust rearwards by perhaps as much as 3/8", I have a healthy 1/4" gap or more between the two. Certainly not what I'd class as dead in line

Define dead in line. I've 'adjusted' my mounts only very slightly just to give added clearance. I've straightened the engine mount by cutting out a sliver from the section that mounts to the rubber, I've adjusted the exhaust rearwards by perhaps as much as 3/8", I have a healthy 1/4" gap or more between the two. Certainly not what I'd class as dead in line

I mean dead in line - unless you change it, cant be any clearer

You can change it by tapping the front two mount holes and moving the mount forward a bit and/or chopping a bit out of the mount and/or bending the pipe a bit - none are insurmountable - in fact as I said originally its easy.. I tiged a couple of 45 degree bends into the down pipe giving me a very healthy 2 or 3 inches of clearance.

BUT! none of that answers the original question which was about using 200 manifolds on a 300 lump, so my fault for digressing off topic.

It is the original 1992 Defender 200TDI. As for time, I don't expect it to take more than a weekend to swap in.. and I've put a Disco 200TDI into a LHD coil chassis and fit the intercooler, which involves a lot of items occupying the same space)... the reasoning is I can buy at least 2 300TDIs complete for the cost of one 200TDI, and generally with lower mileage. I'm also interested in not having to remove the water pump to get at the timing chest, etc.

I'm not at all opposed to fitting another Defender 200TDI, but finding one with low mileage from here is difficult/takes a lot of time and ends up being more expensive generally. Now, if someone here has one lying around <100K and is willing to let it go reasonably, I'm interested. Even if it lacks an exhaust manifold and turbo if the price is right as I know how rare those are.

I mean dead in line - unless you change it, cant be any clearer

You can change it by tapping the front two mount holes and moving the mount forward a bit and/or chopping a bit out of the mount and/or bending the pipe a bit - none are insurmountable - in fact as I said originally its easy.. I tiged a couple of 45 degree bends into the down pipe giving me a very healthy 2 or 3 inches of clearance.

BUT! none of that answers the original question which was about using 200 manifolds on a 300 lump, so my fault for digressing off topic.

This is mine, nothing modified but what I stated above, you can see the weld on the downpipe where I've pulled it back. 200 Disco engine, 300 manifold, standard 109 2286 chassis mounts

P1010358.jpg

It is the original 1992 Defender 200TDI. As for time, I don't expect it to take more than a weekend to swap in.. and I've put a Disco 200TDI into a LHD coil chassis and fit the intercooler, which involves a lot of items occupying the same space)... the reasoning is I can buy at least 2 300TDIs complete for the cost of one 200TDI, and generally with lower mileage. I'm also interested in not having to remove the water pump to get at the timing chest, etc.

I'm not at all opposed to fitting another Defender 200TDI, but finding one with low mileage from here is difficult/takes a lot of time and ends up being more expensive generally. Now, if someone here has one lying around <100K and is willing to let it go reasonably, I'm interested. Even if it lacks an exhaust manifold and turbo if the price is right as I know how rare those are.

Curious, but what's up with yours (sorry if I missed it). Would a rebuild be an option?

If you are putting the 300 where the 200 was then you can use the 200 manifolds and downpipe but you'd have to be inventive to get the pipework to the intercooler around the alternator and especially considering you are going to have the steering column/shaft and steering box in the way. I would imagine that you'll have to move the air filter box too.

My intercooler was across the top of the engine, mounted across 2 raised shock turrets with a scoop on the bonnet. It wasn't very satisfactory TBH.

It'll make a good project for you and I look forward to seeing the results.

HTH

Mo

My plan is to rebuild mine, but I do need to run something in the meanwhile... if I can find another 200 cheap enough that's fine, but I doubt I can finish a rebuild in a weekend. :)

In that case, I'd go for the 300 missing the manifolds and use the existing parts, with a new chassis bracket on the right and a fabricated mount on the left for the unmodified exhaust to clear the 200 type mounting rubber and chassis bracket.

You might need to do something about the rad shroud - I suspect the fan position will be slightly different.

My plan is to rebuild mine, but I do need to run something in the meanwhile... if I can find another 200 cheap enough that's fine, but I doubt I can finish a rebuild in a weekend. :)

Understood. :)

Just as a side note, how easy is it to get a Rover V8 where you are? Would you consider one? I'm a big Tdi fan, but tbh the RV8 is a better/nicer engine in almost every respect.

The only real win for the Tdi is mpg, but then it's marginal. I honestly struggle to believe like for like setup/driving style will yield more than 7-8mpg difference. Maybe less.