On board air compresser inlet

muddy

My 300 tdi air con pump has lasted about 3 years before its given up, until now it's just drawn engine bay air along with the odd squirt of wd40 ect. I noticed the rocker breather is teed into the pipe from air filter to turbo and am thinking of teeing into that for the pump feed for some hopefully oily air to help with lubrication, any opinions on this?

Will.

That is exactly how me and my mates have always done it, works very well. Only scenario where it doesn't provide sufficient lubrication is on a petrol engine, and especially a V8, most of the time they only thing they breath out is moisture, and that doesn't lubricate particularly well in an AC pump (Don't ask me how I know) :D

only thing that has ever caused me problems was a cheap air hose that got swollen from the oil. But have never seen any damage in tyres or tubes, and I reckon the o-rings in my lockers are made for an oily environment ;) further your airtools love it and so does all valves and couplings

I can't see the oil being a significant issue my tyres don't last so long anyway. I can't fit a York type as the mounts are different.

That's sorted then I just need a T peice now.

Will.

I used an inline lubricator on the supply of mine and a trap at the tank outlet.

That's what I did too!

I also emptied the oil out of the compressor and packed it with grease. I fitted a nipple on the fill plug to top up occasionally.

When I was running my active air suspension, the compressor ran 50% of the time the engine was running to supply enough air. The compressor lasted 3 years like that - and it wasn't particularly good when I bought it! Used intermittently, I suspect it would last decades!

Si