LHD series III 109 1980. should i expect imperial or metric thread on

xychix

LHD series III 109 1980. should i expect imperial or metric thread on wheelstud?

Hey all,

I'm not around my 109 at the moment. When I go there in about a month I'm hoping to take with me a zeus brake conversion kit.

What thread should I expect on my landy, or which is the most likely :) (or is it complete random around that year?)

• Like 1

I'm sure I undo the nuts with a metric spanner.... 24?? but I want to order a Zeus kit and need to choose whether or not to send metric or imperial longer studs with it. I'll go for metric then as that might be better towards the future (likely means ordering an extra set of studs for the rear and 4*5 nuts) just to be sure.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.paddockspares.com/90577473-wheel-nut-1-1-16in-27mm-for-steel-wheels.html

and then... would this be metric or imperial thread?

can only find one kind there...

That will be metric. The Imperial ones are for 9/16" studs.

The correct size socket is 9/16 BS.

15/16"AF is a loose lit on original nuts, but a close fit on replacement nuts of the same BS thread.

24mm AF is an even looser fit on an original nut, but a closer fit on the 15/16" replacement nut.

Anything that says 27mm is for nuts on the later 5/8" diameter stud, where the thread is (I think) 16mm.

Regards.

In my experience, you never know until you check. My 1978 SIII had a mix of Imperial and Metric throughout. SIII bits were replaced with SII and SIIA bits at various times (let alone now that it's a full Frankentruck) and I have even found Whitworth threaded bolts in the past. My SIII is like a box of chocolates...

• 2 weeks later...