Foamy tape stuff under tub cappings

I'm nearing the stage on my project where I need to get the tub cappings back on. The ones I took off had some open cell type double sided foam tape between them and the top faces of the tub.

What do people generally use when refitting? Does this stuff have a special name?

The capping's have been rotting like mad since 1987 MY when station wagons and hard top models were subjected to cost cutting exercises. I'm amazed that LR never reverted to galvanising these. They're such a visible feature that affects the value and appearance of disappointingly young vehicles.

Luckily my old 1986 90 hard top was just pre this cut, and had galved and painted capping's. When I sold it a couple of years ago it had perfect rot free cappings, even where some paint had been scraped off.

The foam I believe is to limit the steel to alu contact, I have a stock of various foam type tapes to use as insulation and landing face material. comes in handy for sealing gearbox cover/seat box and umpteen other gaps.

the Disco's have the stuff separating the front wing skin from the steel inner support, I saw my mates truck the other day where he hadn't replaced the stuff after some wing work and the furry white horrible oooz that was coming out the panel contact area on the inside of the engine bay was not a pretty sight...

I got a real shock when I came to fix a swing away wheel carrier and had to drill the cappings in my newly acquired 110 CSW.

post-105237-0-26563500-1468404115_thumb.jpg

The exterior looked fine but once the rear trims were removed there wasn't much there. Fortunately I found a galvanised pair on eBay and I've fitted those leaving the galv. exposed and they look ok like that (to me anyway).

post-105237-0-68171600-1468404248.jpg

I agree with Maverik in that it's best to separate at every dissimilar metal joint. As well as the butyl rubber strip I've also used a ~4cm wide roll of adhesive-backed plastic strip which is aerospace quality and is food where a strong, thin barrier.

In my case I think the cappings rotted due to copious water leaks - probably due to failed seals between the capping tops and the side panels.