Not enough of Vacuum for both Brakes and Clutch

I have a Def 110, 1991 with a Def 200TDI engine and I have also installed the REDBOOSTER Hydraulic Clutch for it.

When driving all is ok, but in traffic which is slow moving I sometimes find the clutch slowly getting harder and if I rev the engine then it becomes soft. I guess the original Vacuum pump ERR535 is not able to give enough Vacuum to the brakes as well as the hydraulic clutch. I plan on overhauling the vacuum pump by replacing the four Rotor blades in the pump AEU2718.

Maybe they have become weak and there is not enough vacuum being generated for both brakes and clutch.

I was thinking of putting an alternator which has an additional vacuum pump at the back of it. BUt not sure which one will fit and also if there is enough of space for such a one to be fitted.

If it can be fitted then I can dedicate the original pump for the brakes and the one on the alternator for the clutch. Any ideas are welcome guys.

Adding a vacuum pump is a good idea. theres two that i know of , one has the pump on the front and the other on the rear as youve said. i assume you put the servo on to help with land rover knee. i was going to put a servo on but opted for the very much cheaper spring upgrade. the defender 200Tdi had a long spring which challenges the strongest of knee's. i changed the pedal with one with the new style spring. ( curly rather than long ) now the clutch is much easier on the knee. below i've flee bay'd a couple of option/ideas.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-GENERATOR-90A-12V-WITH-VACUUM-PUMP-DOUBLE-PULLEY-31926403-/371631364505?hash=item5686f49999:g:HTAAAOSwVcFXPEux

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Defender-2-5-TD5-1998-2007-Alternator-Vacuum-Pump-UK-Manufactured-/221894291907?hash=item33a9ee31c3:g:xwEAAOSwKIpWAso-

As I have already bought the Redbooster and have been using it for over three years there is no problem on the highway but only in city traffic as we use both the brake and clutch more than required.

Davis does the first alternator with the pump at the back fit a def 200tdi engine. Is there enough of place for the pump?

thanks a ton for your reply!

Could you fit a vacuum tank from the coupled brakes system. I've got one on the 110 it certainly holds vacuum for a long time.

Mike

The RedBooster clutch servo system includes a vacuum tank, so he already has one....and non return valves. It is a comprehensive and well designed system.

The Redbooster does have the tank. I have just ordered new rotors for the 200tdi vacuum pump. Hope it solves the problem. My mechanic mentioned that there is hardly any space for an alternator with a rear builtin vacuum pump that will fit in the same place as the OE alternator. So only hope is to do the rotors and check.

The brake servo is not leaking. Both the brake and clutch have non return valves.

I've got a small electric vacuum pump off a Ford, I believe they crop up to work cruise control actuators on various vehicles (it has a built-in valve to release the vacuum), could be a quick fix, and can be tucked away somewhere without getting in the way.

• 3 weeks later...